"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Big lips, Bronchitis and Best friends

It's been a busy few days for the Ubben family. It started last Thursday. My good friend since diapers, Casey Noonan, was in town from Oklahoma visiting his parents Terry and Jeri. Most of you know of our relationship so I won't take the time to explain. I hadn't seen him since our wedding last May... which is actually pretty good because we usually only get to see each other about once a year. Cody, Jaden and I went over to Terry and Jeri's along with my parents Thursday night after I got off work to have supper with them. It was so great to all be together again, but Jaden wasn't feeling real well so it was kind of a bad night for it. We only got to spend about two hours there, and I was busy trying to keep Jaden happy for most of it. It's always hard for me after saying goodbye to Casey because I am so used to him being so far away, but when I do see him I am reminded of how much I miss him. As I have gotten older I have learned that there's very few people in your life in which you can go long periods of time with no contact and then pick up right where you left off when you do see each other again. I am lucky to have Casey as a lifelong friend, and I am really happy that he and Cody are becoming fond of each other and getting along real well -- and I am so eager for Jaden to get to know him as he grows up. He already likes his "Uncle" Casey!

We had a rude start to Friday morning. Cody was out doing snow removal, and I was in the bathroom getting ready for work. While I was in there Jaden woke up and pulled himself up in his crib like he normally does. Only this time he must have fallen because he started screaming horribly and when I ran in there I couldn't at all figure out what was wrong. Ten minutes later I noticed his bottom lip had swollen to a horribly big size. That -- on top of a bad cough that was really bothering him -- caused us to keep him home from daycare, and Cody watched him all day. Cody enjoyed his time with Jaden - he said it was a good bonding day for them. Jaden was very cuddly with Cody and slept a lot. But when I got home that night I was a little concerned that he was getting sicker so we took him to Covenant's Urgeant Care Friday night. Luckily, no sore throat or ear infections (knock on wood) -- but the doctor did hear stuff in his lungs so he diagnosed him with a case of bronchitis and prescribed us with a steroid and an antibiotic. Jaden went to sleep at his usual 8:00, but when he woke up a little after midnight he was HYPER. He refused to sleep -- was talking non-stop... giddy as ever and ended up playing on the floor until FOUR in the morning! But when he woke up Saturday morning after he finally went to sleep, he looked much better already -- and he felt better, too.

Saturday late afternoon Cody's parents, Tim and Deanne, picked Jaden up to take him back to Aplington overnight and Cody and I had a much needed night out. This hadn't happened in months, and we had a really good time. We first went to the movie Marley & Me. I enjoyed it up until the end. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but after what we went through with our dog Lucky last year, it was very very difficult for me to watch. I ended up in tears and was thankful we had watched it in the theater so that I couldn't get too emotional like I really wanted to. After the movie we went to Montage -- a really nice restaurant downtown CF. It was SO good! We went for the full three-course meal. It's such a rare ocassion to eat at such a place that we felt we needed to go all-out. So we started with an appetizer of chicken empanadas and then each ordered an entre of pasta. Cody's was a shrimp pasta with a spicy wine sauce and I went for my beloved pasta alfredo with chicken. Then we split a dessert - chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream. It reminded us of our first Valentine's together because that's where went for our date that night. We wouldn't give Jaden back for the world, but it was nice to have a night that reminded us of how we used to be -- a night in which we could focus on each other without having a baby crawling up our pant legs begging for all of the attention! After supper, we met a bunch of Cody's friends (many of whom were in our wedding) at the Pepper's back bar for some drinks -- then headed back downtown and visited a couple more bars. We didn't get home until almost 2 a.m. -- hadn't done that in a very long time!!

This morning (Sunday) we left right at 8:15 to go pick Jaden up in Aplington. I didn't want to sleep in and miss half the day with him since I feel like I don't see him enough during the week. Jaden had had a great night with his grandparents and slept really well. When we got there he took a nap, and then we took him to see Cody's grandma Grayce. We were in Aplington until 4:00 (Cody, Jaden and I all took naps there in the afternoon) -- but he was a very tired boy when we got home. The busy weekend and lack of sleep had finally caught up with him. So now we're all relaxing and Jaden is sleeping (hopefully) in his crib!

Tomorrow is another big day. Cody has to take a test for a potential job that he is applying for. There are over 70 applicants so it's a little nerve-racking. Please keep him in your prayers throughout the whole job hunt process!

Sorry there are no pictures ---- we were too busy to take any!