"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas "Blessings" of '09

Now that the Christmas season has officially come to a close (well, actually we still have on more Christmas to go to tomorrow, but we're close) -- Cody and I took down the decorations yesterday, and it's on to the next chapter of our lives. Looking back on this Christmas, we received some very nice gifts, and I wanted to have a record of them - for myself if anything ;)

Some of our favorite gifts (but definitely not all):
Both of our parents are splitting the cost of getting us a brand new double-stroller. This is awesome as it definitely would have been a big expense for Cody and I to take on by ourselves. The nice strollers - the ones that allow the older child to be sitting in them up to 50 pounds (which is necessary for us since Jaden is a BIG boy!) - cost at least $250.00. We don't actually HAVE the stroller in possession yet, but it is picked out, and I am excited for it.

Cody's parents purchased us a new video camera. This was somewhat a sigh of relief for me. My dad had gotten us a video camera two years ago when I was pregnant with Jaden, and we loved having it, but it unfortunately stopped working all together a few months ago, and I was starting to feel really sad about not having one to capture the same moments for our next little guy. Not to mention the fact that Jaden is doing all sorts of cute and new things all the time - I wanted to be able to capture it on video.

This might seem silly to some, but one of my favorite gifts this year was from my parents - a set of "Christmas" pillows for the couch in our living room. Now they aren't technically Christmas pillows - but they are the right color to match our Christmas decorations. Normally our living room's main color is a deep purple, but during Christmas I like to switch everything over to blues, silvers and golds for the whole month of December. The pillows on our couch are normally purple, so I had been looking for a couple of months for pillows that I could use only during December - blue ones - that wouldn't cost me a fortune. I wasn't willing to spend $40.00 per pillow for pillows I could only use one month out of the year - at least not this year with a baby on the way. I failed to find nice inexpensive pillows on my own, but my mom found the PERFECT pair. The blue color matches our decor perfectly, and the best part about it is that I don't have to store them during the other 11 months of the year because they actually match our bedroom colors, as well. So -- now that Christmas is over, they are displayed on our bed :)

Cody's mom picked out some new perfume for me this year. She gives us perfume/cologne every year which is awesome because again - this is an expense that I don't like to take on for myself. I always feel spending that much money on perfume could be better spent somewhere else (like on something the whole family really needs) - so it's nice to look forward to a new bottle every year. This year I had mentioned a couple of months ago that I loved Jessica Simpson's new perfume, and that is what she got me. I love the smell, and it came with a complimentary purse that I really like as well. My mom got me my other favorite perfume that I always have on hand but had recently run out of, and she put in my stocking. I am now stocked up on perfume, and very happy with both choices :)

My parents got us the new best baby thermometer. It's the one that you just swipe across their forehead really fast, and it gives you a reading right away. It's the new one most recommended by hospitals/doctors, and it is so fast and convenient. You can even do it when they're sleeping, and of course it works on adults, too. Another relatively expensive but necessary tool.

My grandpa got me a Target gift card, which I used completely on baby things. (This wouldn't excite Cody - but I love shopping for baby things, so this was a fun little shopping trip for me!) I hadn't bothered saving any of Jaden's bottles because they had been used and washed a million times. All of his pacifiers have vanished into thin air, etc. I went out and bought new bottles, new pacifiers, a new bottle washer, some 0-3 month and 3-6 month sleepers (I never felt Jaden had enough of these during those first few months when they like to poop, pee and spit up all over their clothes countless times a day). I also found really cool new teething rings that are much smaller than the ones Jaden had. When they're really little those big round teething rings can barely get into their mouth, and when they start getting teeth further in the back of their mouth, Jaden was never able to get the teething ring far enough back there to make it work. The ones I found I never saw when Jaden was a baby, and I think they are the perfect size. My cousin Michelle stocked us up on some new bibs and burp cloths, so we are pretty much set. All we need now are some diapers, one thing of formula in case nursing doesn't work right off the bat like it didn't with Jaden... and I want a new bouncer. But regardless -- so much less to buy the second time around!

Cody and I also both got mall gift cards, which I love because then you can go on shopping sprees without worrying about your bank account! I found some really nice things on sale for the house, and Cody used a lot of his on a brand new set of knives that were originally expensive but he found for half off.

I didn't mention everything, but these were some of the highlights. Thanks to our Moms and Dads and family members -- I now feel like I am prepared for what's to come in about two months!