"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Favorite Things

For a couple of reasons I have decided to write a blog entry devoted entirely to things in life that I absolutely love... the things that make me tick, smile, get through the bad days and have shaped who I am as a person and made me a unique child of God. I have to first give credit where credit is due -- I got the idea for this after reading my good friend Annalisa's blog. Her writing always makes me think deep and remember our good times together throughout high school and beyond. (So thank you Annalisa - I love you!) The other reason I wanted to write this blog is entirely selfish. I have become the type of pregnant woman that I used to laugh at. I never could understand how some pregnant women get so dang impatient when they are SO close to their due date. I would always think to myself... "you're gonna have that kid any day -- why are you so crabby?? You should be HAPPY!" Well now I get it. I am officially just 10 days away from my due date, and I am crankier than ever. (Sorry Cody). Each day now seems like an entire month. Some hours I almost convince myself that I will never go into labor and that this baby doesn't want to meet his mommy. I've been throwing myself a pitty party. So in order to try and snap myself out of it (at least for as long as it takes me to write this) -- I am going to think about all the positive things in this world. So here it is...

The things (big and small) that I LOVE (in no particular order):
-The FIRST snow fall of the winter
-Life in Iowa
-Cookouts
-70 degree weather
-Owning my own home
-Watching Jaden grow up every single day
-Cody's hugs
-Jaden's smile
-Jaden's voice
-Walking while holding Jaden's tiny hand
-Everything about Jaden
-Date nights with Cody... fancy or not fancy... it's a piece of Heaven since it happens so seldom
-Memories
-Pictures of all of my memories
-Buying a new piece of home decor
-Orchard Hill Church
-The smell inside the UNI-Dome (call me crazy, but that place holds an infinite amount of memories for me going all the way back to when I was a baby -- and the smell in that place reminds me of all of them -- and of all the people associated with them. I love walking into that building after not visiting it for a while and breathing it in... it usually forces a big sigh out of me as if to say "welcome home, Nicole.")
-The UNI Panthers
-Disney World
-Romantic comedies
-Football
-Fall and spring
-When the sun sets around 8/8:30 at night and the temperature is perfect
-Lit candles
-Christmas, decorating for Christmas, the reason for Christmas... everything about Christmas
-Dogs - especially the ones I had growing up - Duffy, Shane, Lucky -- you were all beyond special!
-Dolphins
-My scentsy pot (no idea how to spell that)
-Being a mom
-Being a wife
-Freshly washed bed sheets
-Thunderstorms during the day
-A book so good you have to force yourself to put it down
-DVR - a sincere ginormous thank you to whoever invented this
-Thinking about the "beginning" moments of Cody and my relationship... there is nothing like new love!
-Our family -- we are lucky to have such supportive parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. Most people say this but we truly are very blessed.
-Knowing that I have the same best friend I've had since diapers - Casey - no matter how seldom/often we talk
-Thinking about my high school and college days... I really did have the time of my life
-When the seasons start changing... Variety is the spice of life!
-Walks with my boys when the weather is just perfect and the sun is just starting to settle down for the day
-Cody's grilling
-Facebook
-Music
-Finding a song that you swear was written for you and how you are feeling at that particular moment in your life
-Ultrasounds of my babies
-Starbucks Frappuccinos (again.. spelling?)
-Game nights (why don't we ever have them???)
-Sweatpants and sweatshirts
-Diet fountain pop
-Watching old home videos
-God
-Watching Jaden learn how to pray.. a recently new development!
-A night time sky full of stars
-Laughter
-Looking at our wedding pictures
-Getting emails and snail mail that AREN'T work related or bills
-Ordering something online and getting home from work to find it waiting for you
-Babies
-The childhood that I had. I grew up in an awesome neighborhood surrounded by good people, and I have life-long friendships due to that neighborhood. As well as a lifetime full of memories - riding bikes, swimming in our backyard, etc. etc.
-Chocolate shakes
-Lightning bugs... we have a creative God don't we??!
-Pink flowers
-Nights spent with our entire family... dinners out, cook outs, whatever it may be...

...I'm realizing I could go on and on but these are the first things that come to mind. This list will soon no doubt be added to with the birth of our second baby. (If he ever decides to meet me... Ha! Just kidding...) ;)