"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Introducing Brandon Louis Ubben

What a difference a week makes! One week ago today we welcomed Brandon Louis into our lives and our family. The plan was for me to be induced at 7 a.m. on March 2nd, but Cody and I have learned many times that things very rarely go as planned! When we got to the hospital, Dr. Moussa checked me and discovered that I was 3 cm dilated. She then broke my water right away to make the process start going faster. However, after breaking my water, she did an ultrasound and realized that he wasn't head down again. Little stinker. Instead she was able to feel his shoulder - but not his head. For just a few minutes she thought she might be able to turn him since he wasn't completely turned the wrong way... but then Brandon's heart rate started going up really high, and she thought it best to just do the c-section because it would be safer for me and for the baby. Things moved really fast at that moment. Doctors and nurses were all over me to get me ready for this unplanned surgery. I have to admit I was quite terrified. For me, the thought of being awake (even though I was numb) during a surgery on my own body was horrifying. I won't go into details of everything that went on the c-section room, but I was so relieved when it was all over and when Brandon was born safe and sound and healthy! I also was surprised that he was only 7 lbs. 11.3 oz. I was definitely thinking he was a bigger baby. It was an exhausting week after that. Jaden was able to come up to the hospital the night Brandon was born... and I was so so proud of how he responded to mommy and the baby. He immediately wanted to kiss him and touch him and he wasn't at all upset to see me holding another little person. Being in the hospital for four days wasn't real fun... I missed Jaden like crazy and was very eager to start our new life as a family of four. The recovery process has been going pretty well. The first day after the surgery was definitely tough. I could barely move, and the incision was quite painful for a while. But once my meds got under control, it's really been much easier than I expected it to be.

Now that we've been home for a few days, I am still very impressed with Jaden. He has his moments... and there have been some rough moments for me as well... but overall, he really seems to love his little brother. Jaden is growing a stronger attachment to Cody now -- which is good for the two of them (but selfishly, a little difficult for me!) I am not allowed to pick Jaden up for the first six weeks... that has been the cause of most of the difficulties. Jaden doesn't understand how I can hold Brandon all the time, but yet won't pick him up. It breaks my heart but it won't last forever.
Brandon has been a very good baby so far. He's averaging only needing to get up and eat twice a night. He definitely does not like his sleep to be interrupted... that's really the only time he cries! (That - and for diaper changes). He's cute as can be, too. I am a lucky girl to have three adorable men in my life! I am enjoying my maternity leave and am very anxious for the weather to get somewhat warmer so we can enjoy some time outside. I love my little family and am very grateful for all of our blessings!