"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Morning Thankfulness 6/28

This Monday morning I am thankful for:
-Holiday weekends. Both Cody and I get next Monday July 5th off from work to give us a three-day weekend as a family. Not only does that give us a three-day weekend, but it also gives us a shorter work week next week!
-A good night's sleep. Okay I actually haven't had a good night's sleep recently, but Brandon (bless his heart) really tried to give me one on Friday night. Friday was the first night that he slept through the night completely. I fed him at about 9:30 Friday night, and he didn't wake up until 7:00 Saturday morning. Unfortunately I'm so used to having to wake up, that I woke up a couple of times anyway. Oh well!
-Where we live. I'm very thankful that Cody and I agree that we have absolutely no desire to ever move out of the Cedar Valley area. There are so many things I love about living here. I love that I have a lifetime of memories here because this is where I've always called home. I love that when I leave this area to travel for work purposes -- even when it's only for a couple of hours -- as soon as I get back into the Cedar Valley area, I feel a huge sigh of relief -- kind of like when you walk into your house at 5:00 at the end of a hectic work day. "Breathe - you're home." -- That kind of feeling :) I love that it has a lot of advantages of a bigger city -- but isn't actually a bigger city. I love that the seasons change and that my kids will get to experience swimming in the summer and sledding in the winter - flowers blooming in the spring and leaves falling in the fall. I love that we have a successful Division 1 athletics program right here in our own backyard. It keeps us busy and excited through the fall and winter months. I love that both of our families are right here with us and that our kids will get to grow up sharing everything with our families. I love that we have a quality school system and an incredible church to go to every Sunday. I love the traditions - like Sturgis Falls (going to Sturgis Falls this weekend was the inspiration for this post). I love the small town feel at Christmas time when you walk down Main Street Cedar Falls and the Christmas celebration that it holds every year now. I love the Cedar Falls downtown area. I could go on and on. I had to drive to Moline, Illinois for work one day last week and got stuck in stand-still traffic. I texted Cody and said, "I never want to move to a bigger city." -- To which he replied that I never had to worry about him wanting that. I love it here and so does Cody. We're very lucky :)

We had a very busy weekend, but I think I had enough of the sticky/sweatiness because I'm EXHAUSTED today. We enjoyed Sturgis Falls Saturday morning - caught the tail end of the parade and then walked the kids around and let Jaden enjoy some time at the carnival. He played his first game and won a stuffed penguin - which he was really excited about because we had just watched Happy Feet the night before! Saturday he went down for a nap for only about an hour and then spent a lot of time outside playing in his pool and with his new water table. Sunday we went back to Sturgis to enjoy some food at the park. We bought one of the famous Sturgis smoothies and the mini doughnuts - mainly for Jaden - but he didn't like the smoothie and wouldn't try the doughnuts! Then more swimming time yesterday afternoon. Mommy's beat :)

Brandon enjoying the parade :)
Jaden throwing darts at the balloons -- he was so good at this! He got to throw 10 darts, and he hit seven balloons!