"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend

Why can't every weekend be three days long???

Our longer weekend started off with a busy Saturday. Cody had to spend all day at his parents' new house working on landscaping their yard so that left me, Jaden and Brandon alone all day. Surprisingly, this was the first time I had been completely alone with both boys for an entire day... until past supper time. I'd obviously been alone with them for big chunks of time before -- but never from morning to night. I was actually a little nervous going into it. It wasn't a rainy day so I was afraid Jaden was going to want to be outside the entire time -- but it was SO hot that it just wasn't possible with little Brandon. It actually went very well. I think Jaden realized that with daddy gone he was going to have to be extra good for mommy :) We ran some errands in the morning so that took up some time -- then enjoyed lunch, and then lucky for me Jaden took a 3 1/2 hour nap that afternoon!! Shortly after waking up, I took them to the park for a little bit. We didn't stay very long because like I said -- it was HOT! But it was fun. Up until then, Jaden had enjoyed the parks for climbing and going down slides. He's never wanted to swing unless he could sit on the big swing on Cody's lap -- and he's never wanted to actually ride on the Merry-go-round. But Saturday he actually asked to ride on the merry-go-round -- and loved it! I had to force him to get off, and it was so funny to see how dizzy he was when he got done. He couldn't walk straight for a little while :) He then asked to swing in the "baby" swings by himself... and laughed the entire time I was pushing him. He also found a new slide to go down and it was one of those old metal slides... it was so fast, he flew off of it into the air and landed on his butt every time... but again, he loved it! After the park, Cody called me and told me he was going to be late so without supper planned, I gave in and got Jaden (and myself) both Happy Meals from McDonalds. I love making my little boy happy with special treats like that!

On Sunday we got up and made it to church and then had to go get groceries as we were hosting our families at our house for 4th of July. I also enlisted Jaden's help in making a cake for my dad because it was his birthday on the 4th. His "help" involved putting the food coloring into the cake batter, licking the spoons and bowls and trying to sneak by mommy by sticking his finger into the batter a couple times ;) Some of the batter was colored blue... so he had a very blue mouth by the time we were done baking! Here is the cake...
This is what it looked like before we frosted it...
The results after the frosting... I couldn't find everything I needed to decorate it the way I wanted to, but we made do!
And here's what the inside looked like... festive, huh??!

We were really bummed it rained all day... we wanted to have the famlies over to our place to the kids could swim in our new nice pool and do sparklers and firecrackers... and just run around outside. But even though it rained, and even though we were stuck inside, things went okay. It was our family, plus my parents and Cody's parents - and Cassi, Ella and Craig. Ella and Jaden had a blast together -- they get along really well. When it was time for Ella to leave to go to her dad's house, she didn't want to go! And Jaden was sad when he realized she'd left.
Dad with his boys on his birthday!
The cousins!

Monday was a bit more relaxing... Cody did a very nice thing and offered to let me go to the new Eclipse movie while he stayed home with the boys. He said I should get out of the house for a bit, and he was right! I recruited my dad to join me for the movie... how lucky was he?? ;) Then last night, we watched as Brandon not only rolled back and forth between his back and tummy... but he actually rolled half way across the living room floor! I am so excited for him but am not ready for him to be moving around so much already! At this rate he'll be crawling in no time ;)