"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, October 4, 2010

7 Months, Pumpkin Patch and Football

Fall -- I'm so glad you're here! It was a busy weekend for us, but I am in my element... I can't say enough how much I love this time of year! October is full of football, perfect weather, pumpkins, amazing smells... and -- I just realized on my way to work that Jaden is old enough to actually go trick-or-treating this year :) Then we have November -- Thanksgiving and Christmas decorating at the end of the month. Plus a nice little Thanksgiving vacation from work. Then we have December :) Which is not only an amazing month because of Christmas, but I also get a nice vacation from work, and it begins our string of birthday months. My birthday in December, Jaden's in January, Cody's in February and Brandon's in March. Whew! :)

Friday night we kicked off the weekend with baking. We had a family gathering on Sunday, so I thought I'd enlist Jaden's help in making a simple cake. Betty Crocker has a fun fall festive cake mix and matching frosting for sale right now so that's what we did. He helped me do everything - pour the ingredients, crack the eggs, and stir everything together. I then let him try one spoon lick of the batter before putting it in the oven. The whole time we worked on it, he kept saying, "I help! I help!"

Saturday Brandon turned seven months old! I can't believe it. He is almost completely sitting up on his own. He can sit on his own for long periods of time as long as someone is there to help him if he starts to tip... but he is very close to not needing any help. He's also still getting up on all fours a lot and rocking back and forth. I think as soon as he gets this sitting thing down pat he will be crawling right away. Jaden sat up at eight months and then scooted for a really long time before he crawled. Brandon seems to be progressing a little faster, but they say that's normal with second kids. He still gets up on average once a night for a bottle. Jaden did this until he was a year old so we just have kind of accepted this with Brandon, as well. Every once in a while he will sleep through the night, but then he tends to wake up at like 5:15/5:30 in the morning. I'd almost rather him get up for five minutes in the middle of the night and then sleep in a little later. He's babbling more, but his favorite noise is a high pitched squeeling noise! He also likes to stick his tongue out and just spit spit spit ;) He has seven teeth - four on the top and three on the bottom. I'm waiting for that fourth tooth on the bottom to make its appearance soon. He loves to be on the go. He gets bored quite easily if we're hanging out in the house for too long. I'm hoping this changes some once he's able to crawl and sit -- maybe then he'll have an easier time entertaining himself. We attempted to take his seven month pictures with his big bear on Saturday morning, but it didn't go very well ;) He kept laughing at the bear so all he wanted to do was try and get the bear's foot in his mouth. Then Jaden was in the room and kept trying to stand up on the crib and reach his hand in to all the pictures. Oh well - here's one of the better ones that we got ;)
After attempting pictures in the morning, we headed out to the Heartland Farms Pumpkin Patch. This is the third year in a row for us, and it is becoming one of my favorite traditions. This year was just as much fun. Jaden loved it. It was pretty cold and very windy but nobody cared. (I did not go prepared so Cody was nice enough to offer me his jacket, and he stood there in short sleeves. Thank goodness I have such a tough hubby) ;) Jaden loved visiting with the animals, and went down the really big slides for the second year in a row. They prop the slides up on big piles of hay to make them go really high and really fast. I had to be at the bottom to catch Jaden cuz he would literally fly right off of it! He also had a good time in the inflatable pumpkin that was set up for kids to jump in. At first, he was too afraid to try it, but then my dad got in there and that was all the convincing Jaden needed ;)

 My dad took this picture, and I love it!

 We took this same picture of Jaden when he was a baby two years ago!

 Here's a picture of the spitting Brandon likes to do ;)

 Jaden kept trying to feed the animals anything that he could find on the ground ;)

 This was kind of crazy... Jaden quickly stuck his hand through the fence, and the horse put Jaden's hand in his mouth! Luckily he just gummed it a bit and didn't bite. My dad had to help pry Jaden's hand out of the horse's mouth!

 Brandon hanging out -- comfy and cozy!

 Here's Jaden's favorite slide!

After the Pumpkin Patch, it was lunch and nap time and then it was game time! The boys did well at the game again. Brandon took a good nap, ate a bottle and ate his baby food while we were there. He made it until halfway through the third quarter, and then Cody had to take him home. They ended up having a good time though after they left. Cody decided he wanted to make his own bird feeders (he loves bird watching) so he and Brandon went to Farm & Fleet together to get supplies, and then after I got home, Cody stood out in the garage working on the bird feeders until 10:30 that night! Jaden and I stayed for the whole game, and then went down on the field aftewards to play for a while.  This is Jaden's favorite thing to do! However, I was a bad mommy and forgot to pack his football. When we got down to the field after the game, he immediately asked for his football, and I had to tell him that I forgot to bring it. For a second he got upset, but then I told him to just run! And he did! He ran from one endzone all the way down the field to the other endzone and then back again. He is just in heaven when he can run, run, run! I get a little nervous with all those other people that are down there throwing footballs all over the place - I keep waiting for Jaden to get clobbered in the head, but we've dodged that so far. He also gave Coach Farley and Coach Dedric a high-five for a great win!

On Sunday we went to church, and Jaden once again had a very good time at Sunday School. When we picked him up he told us that they sang songs about God and that he had fun and wants to go to church again ;) Sunday afternoon, we had family in town at my parents' house. My grandpa (my mom's dad) and some of my cousins hadn't even met Brandon yet so they got to finally meet him, and Jaden got to play with all of my cousin's kids. The ones that were there ranged in age from 6 years old to 1 years old. It was a noisy afternoon!

Now it's Monday again, and unfortunately the business and lack of sleep helped Jaden to come down with a cold. Keeping our fingers crossed that he gets over it quickly and that Brandon doesn't catch it, too!