"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Parenthood"

Wow two blog entries in one day. Aren't you all lucky?? ;)

I have been watching the show "Parenthood" on NBC for about a year now. Cody has slowly gotten into it, and last night we watched it together thanks to having the DVR and recording it from Tuesday night. If you do not watch this show, I highly recommend. Tuesday nights at 9:00. NBC. In my opinion, it is not advertised or publicized or talked about enough. The acting is great - the story lines are real - there is humor, seriousness - it is a show about parenting and families, jobs and school - it's something I can actually relate to ;) The clothing the characters wear isn't glamorous, they don't look like they got made up by their own personal stylist every morning and it's not wishy-washy. Last night it sparked a great conversation between Cody and I. So great that as we were watching it, I kept having to hit the pause button as new comments would get made by one of us. We started talking about parenting down the road when our boys are teenagers. (Ugh. Thank God that's a ways away). Mainly we discussed how we would handle the "big" stuff. Like drinking in high school, bringing home girls we didn't approve of... Cody having the talk before they start dating. (I know I know I know -- it's a long ways away, but Jaden's starting preschool this year. That's a wake up call for me that my kids won't be babies for much longer!) :) We talked about whether or not we were in agreement on how to handle the big stuff. We both agree it's important that we are on the same page when it comes to dealing with these issues. The little issues - no, it's not that big of a deal that we always agree on those. But when it comes to the big stuff --- I certainly don't want to confuse my kids by having them hear one thing from me and something different from Cody. I'm happy to report that when it comes to the big stuff... we are in agreement. So far -- on everything. But this talk has reminded me of one verse from the Bible that I want to make very big part of the boys' lives as they get old enough to understand it. I might even print it on a big sheet of paper and frame it in each one of their bedrooms. It is this this:

1 Corinthians 15:33 - "Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character."

I was very lucky in high school. I surrounded myself with a lot of really good people - a lot of good friends. No, we didn't always make the wisest decisions, but the influence of my friends was overall a good one. That's what I want for my kids. They're going to mess up, but I want their overall experience as a teenager heading into the real world to be a good one. I want them to have a firm foundation of good character before they are out on their own. They're going to need that foundation beneath them as they enter college and adulthood.

And when they do mess up - Cody and I agree that we want to instill in them the knowledge and peace that they can come to us with anything. Anything. And we will be there.

Anyways -- Parenthood. Check it out. It's a good show :)