"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Has Sprung... at Our House

At 5:30 a.m. this morning (Sunday morning), I was awakened to the sound of my phone ringing. The first phone call of its kind this season... the National Weather Service was phoning me to inform me that a severe thunderstorm warning had just been issued for our area. The sound of thunder made me happy. (Even at 5:30 a.m.) Ah yes... spring is here.

And so in honor of the changing of seasons... I have spent the last week preparing the inside of my house to reflect the weather outside. Owning a home for almost two years now has made me truly appreciate each new season and each new holiday... any reason to change decorations! ;) I also want my kids to have a true appreciation for each holiday... the celebrations, the family time, the traditions... and the reasons for each one. So... I allow myself to purchase just one... or two... or maybe three new pieces of holiday decor for each holiday each year. Over the years as my collections grow I want my house to look like a cartoon version of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" -- or Mickey Mouse's Easter Celebration.


So... with the true signs of spring on the horizon... down went the UNI decorated snow shovel... and into storage went the Scentsy pot aromas of "Cozy Fireside" and "Autumn Sunset." Up on the walls and the shelves went all things pastel. And into the Scentsy pot went this month's scent of the month - "Shades of Green" - a mixed bag of smells to remind us of fresh cut grass and all things springy.


A brand new bottle of "bubbles" was purchased... and they are colored bubbles, no less. Purple of course. (Hey... the Panthers are still playing some basketball, folks).


As a pink lover, Easter season is my one month of the year where I allow myself to decorate with as much pink and pastel as my heart desires...



...Right down to my spring-time dish towels. (Gotta love the dollar bins at Target).


And I've learned a thing or two as a parent. We all say once we become parents, we learn not to judge other parents. I used to say... "I'll never let my kid walk around with snot on his face." Or... "how can they let their child be so loud in the restaurant!!" Well... one of my things I used to think or say was... "why do people hang such tacky looking window stickers on their windows??" Oh what we do for our kids... live and learn, I guess. (And hey... I secretly like my spring-time window clings -- thank you Jaden for picking them out at HyVee and insisting we buy them).


Today was a day for Easter egg decorating. I know Easter is still five weeks away, but I purchased this new Easter basket for our table -- and it looked so lonely without pretty eggs to fill it with.


And though I swore that I would not purchase the tempting looking Easter candy until the week of Easter... well, egg decorating... and my kids... deserved some goodies to mark the occasion.

And hey? Why not throw in a new Easter book, as well.



Although Cody pretends not to care too much about holiday decor... he very excitedly pointed out today that I had forgotten to purchase the fake green grass for the colored eggs to sit on. So to the local HyVee I went... to purchase fake green grass for my husband. The man surprises me.


Jaden enjoyed watching the water start to boil.


Brandon had no clue what was going on in the kitchen... but he did take interest in this fireman's hat in the living room. I thought for sure he would take it off of his head right away, but when I said to him -- "Go show, Daddy!" -- he very proudly shuffled into the kitchen... still wearing the hat until he got praise from his Da Da.


Cody was pretty proud of his little creations.


Happy spring! Hope the Easter bunny is good to you!