"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, April 8, 2011

I Survived

I survived two nights and two mornings away from my beautiful little boys. Tuesday morning I boarded a plane for Dallas for a team building event with my company. Tuesday and Wednesday were productive days for me work-wise... but also very long -- starting at 7:30 in the morning and not getting back to my hotel room until after 10:00 both nights. Thursday I got on a plane to come home... and home felt very very good.

I am a home-body. Nothing makes me appreciate the Cedar Valley and Iowa more than going to a place like Dallas, Texas. We have such an easy-going slow-paced lifestyle here. When in Dallas, it took us over an hour just to get to where we wanted to eat for supper. And they are use to it down there. No thanks. That driving time is valuable time I'd much rather spend with my kiddos playing outside! Though it may be fun to see new places -- especially places you hear about all the time -- it's not as fun when the people you love aren't there to take it in with you. I liked to travel growing up - I enjoyed our trips to Florida, Lake Michigan... and even Europe. But they were all done with my family and friends. And that's the only way I'd want it to be if I had my choice.

My kids (and Cody) did well without me. Not that I thought they wouldn't. I don't worry about them when I'm gone... I worry about me. ;) Jaden told Cody quite a bit that he missed me. That made me feel really good... how could it not? I called them once each night and both mornings right before I had to leave my hotel room. It was nice just to hear their voices... even though Brandon doesn't talk yet, I always knew when he was holding the phone listening to me as I could hear the constant "beep" of the buttons he was pushing. He is 13 months old, but this is the first time I've really been away from him. Overnights at the grandparents' don't really count.

And nothing could beat the look on Brandon's face when he saw it was me that was picking him up from daycare Thursday afternoon. He cuddled his cute chipmunk cheeks next to mine for about 10 minutes. Preciousness. Jaden didn't give me much of a reaction when he first saw me... until I went to pick him up and put him in the car...when he wrapped his arms around me and laid his head down on my shoulder. He never does that. Preciousness. And I guess Cody missed me, too. When I was driving back into town from the Cedar Rapids airport, he asked me to come see him at his job site instead of waiting until he got off work and was home.

Now we are looking forward to a weekend of swimming lessons, wearing shorts, playing outside, sheltering ourselves from the possible severe weather they are predicting... and even taking in a UNI basketball banquet on Sunday. And I promise to take pictures of the cuties in my life. It's been a while!