"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, April 15, 2011

Take the Time

I have been battling a cold for most of the week... I haven't been sleeping very good due to being so congested and getting sinus headaches. The other night as we were putting the boys to bed, I was beyond exhausted. All I wanted was to get them tucked away in their beds so that I could crash into mine. Because of this, I tried to cheat Jaden out of our normal Mommy/Jaden bonding time. Instead of me - Cody helped Jaden brush his teeth and read him a book. After I had put Brandon in his room, I walked into Jaden's and tried to get away with a kiss and a hug instead of the whole routine of talking and praying.

As I turned away from his bed, walked to the doorway and turned off the light, Jaden immediately burst into tears. And I mean... burst into tears. I rushed back to his bed and tried to ask him what was wrong, but he was so upset that he wouldn't talk. I crawled into his, layed down next to him and started rubbing his back. This calmed him down... and slowly the crying stopped. I then asked him again, "What's wrong?" No answer. "What's wrong buddy? Use your words to tell me what's wrong. Are you upset that I didn't lay down with you right away?" All he responded with was a very quiet... "Yes." So I said -- "Do you want Mommy to lay with you for a coulple of minutes?" He responded with... "Yes." So I did - I laid with him quietly for a couple of minutes. And that was all he needed. The next time I went to leave his room, he rolled over into his usual sleeping position and that was that. (Let me just say here -- his sleeping position is the funnist thing. He rolls over with his back to the door, his precious blanket in hand, and tucks himself into the very edge of his bed right up against the wall. Doesn't look very comfy to me -- but it's how he falls asleep every single night. So funny).

I realized that night... as much as those precious moments with my kids mean so much to me... they really do mean so much to them, too. Thanks for reminding me to take the time for the little moments, Jaden!