"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, May 20, 2011

It's going too fast...

This morning I had one of those "moments" that mommies so often have throughout the course of a year. We had a great morning at our house filled with laughter, funny kiddos, hugs and tickles. And as I watched Brandon monkey around in our recliner, so proud of himself for learning the easiest way to get into it and down from it and therefore giggling at himself, I said to Cody -- "I'm going to miss this."

I love both of my boys dearly. But when Jaden was Brandon's age, I knew he wouldn't be my last. I knew there would be at least one more baby. But now Brandon is my baby. He's my tiny man. And he's growing too darn fast.

So I am soaking him up - every cuddle, every baby giggle, every little roll of baby fat, every whine for "mama" or "dada" -- every. little. thing.

I am soaking up...
the fact that he refuses to eat his yogurt in the mornings unless he is sitting on my lap. I have to position myself on the living room floor and he runs to me, sits down on my legs and adjusts himself so he's sitting just right while I spoon feed him. If I have to move him off of my lap for any reason, he climbs right back on. It's a common occurrence that usually results in yogurt falling onto my dress pants or getting in my hair, but I don't care. In fact, as I came to work the other day with dried yogurt on my black pants, I actually found myself bragging about it to a co-worker.

I am soaking up...
the way he jumps up and down in his crib and squeals for us when we come into his room in the morning. I know too soon that he will be crawling out of his big boy bed all by himself. So for now... I savor the jumping.

I am soaking up...
the way he giggles and giggles when I tickle his thighs during a diaper change or while getting him undressed for his bath. Those baby rolls on those little legs are too irresistible.

I am soaking up...
the way he sways to the music in his car seat while we're driving to and from daycare. Every once in a while, I will look in my rear-view mirror and there is Brandon with his hands clasped together, swaying back and forth as if he's ready to get his groove on.

I am soaking up...
his high pitched grunts when he wants something. He can't talk yet so he grunts and points at what catches his eye -- whether it be a drink, a snack or a request for us to pick him up. If he doesn't get what he wants right away, the grunts gradually get higher in pitch until it's a full-on shriek.

I am soaking up...
the way he looks up to his older brother. His face shows so much delight when Jaden plays with him or makes silly faces at him. He adores his big brother, and I pray they always have a close bond as brothers and friends.

I am soaking up...
every little "uh oh" "mama" "dada" and "gaga." Pretty soon that vocabulary will be much more extensive and the baby talk will lessen.

I am soaking up...
every time he lays his head on my shoulder for my hug "goodbye" when dropping him off at daycare.

I am soaking up...
the way he holds his arms up to us and opens and closes his hands repeatedly (picture the way someone would milk a cow) when he wants us to pick him up.

I am soaking up...
his new love of clapping along to "if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands..."

I am soaking up...
his hilarious facial expressions and his attitude. Anyone who has spent a good amount of time with our little guy can attest to the hilarity and uniqueness that this little boy's personality possesses. He makes us laugh constantly.

I am soaking up...
how much he loves his daddy and the way he shows his love for Cody at this age. Baby wresting, pats on Daddy's head and the way he will just stare at and grab at Cody's face sometimes when they are on the floor together... priceless.

I am soaking up...
the way he chugs from his sippy cup when he is really thirsty. Both hands on the cup, head tilted back as far as it will go... "bottom's up" baby.

I am soaking up...
putting him to bed. How he insists that his musical mobile be turned on, how we lay him in the crib, he reaches his hand out for his pacifier and his blankey and then rolls himself onto his side with his blankey tucked by his cheek. He looks so peaceful and he goes to bed for us so nicely.

I am soaking up...
watching him try to run with his short little legs. Soon enough his legs will be longer, and he will be giving Jaden a run for his money.

I am soaking up...
the last remaining months of using "baby" supplies. Pacifiers, diapers, wipes, baby Tylenol, the bottle he still uses once a day before bed, the crib, baby washcloths, "footy" pajamas, the diaper bag, Gerber baby puffs, sippy cups, baby toothpaste, 12-24 month baby clothes, high chairs at restaurants, baby spoons, bibs.

I am soaking it all up.


Soaking up those baby feet...



Soaking up those forehead wrinkles...


Soaking up those pudgy cheeks...


Soaking up those rolley-polley arms...

Soaking up that baby tummy...

Soaking it all up.