"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Work Trip, a Camping Trip and a Trip to the Petting Zoo...

Sorry it has been a while since my last update. Life has been crazy the past couple of weeks. It seems like we have been running from one trip, to one meeting, to one appointment, to one thing after another after another after another. So here it goes...

A week and a half ago I had to leave town for three days to attend a conference in Kansas City. Three days was the longest I've ever left both of the boys. I had anxiety about it. On Thursday morning I had to be at the Waterloo Airport at 5:30 in the morning... didn't get to Kansas City until 11:30... had to go straight to the exhibit site and set up our booth... got a break late afternoon for lunch... and then had to work our booth until 9:00 at night. We weren't able to eat supper Thursday night due to work so I ordered room service that didn't arrive at my room until 10:00. I was exhausted. Friday we had to work the exhibit until 6:00 in the evening... and then everyone insisted we had to have barbeque. Go anywhere in Kansas City on a Friday night without reservations? Good luck. We also didn't have our own transportation, and there was an hour long wait for a cab... so we walked to the restaurant. Let me not forget to mention it was a sunny 93 degrees. We got to the restaurant and had to wait two hours to even be seated. I got my food shortly before 9:00. I was exhausted again. Saturday morning we had to work the booth until noon... then take the booth down and pack up and ship everything. My flight didn't leave Kansas City until 5:00 in the afternoon, but my ride to the airport got me there at 1:00. So I got to sit and wait four hours in the airport... and finally arrived home (after a slight layover in Minneapolis) -- at about 8:30 Saturday night. I was missing my boys terribly. Thank goodness they were waiting for me at the airport to greet me - in their pajamas - up past their bedtimes - but very happy to see their mommy.





Jaden was such a big helper and asked to wheel Mommy's luggage out to the car for me. What a big boy!


The week after I got home we were able to enjoy some time outside... one of their new favorite activities is to drive the tractor. Jaden gets to drive... Brandon gets to ride... and they're both happy!


How handsome is our boy??


This past Saturday (after what turned out to be a pretty stressful week) -- we were invited to go camping at Prairie Bridges in Ackley with two other couples - Logan and Kimberly - and Wade and Shannon. Cody, Logan and Wade all work together and get along great. It's so fun to have those three together. Cody's grandparent's have a pretty good sized camper equipped with a bathroom, a bed, a couch and a table. We decided to go for it (I had NEVER been camping) -- and left the boys over night with Tim and Deanne. I'm glad we did it because we had a lot of fun. We ate some food, played some bags and sat around a good old fashioned campfire making s'mores. Cody said to me the next day that he even felt closer to me since I agreed to go camping with him. (He is a huge outdoorsy person -- so this was a huge deal to him that I not only went along on the trip -- but actually enjoyed "roughing" it). ;) When we woke up Sunday morning, we grabbed the boys from Aplington and brought them back out to the camp site for just a little bit so that they could explore, too.



The third little boy in this picture is Wade's son Zach. He and Jaden hit it off pretty well right away. I wish I would have gotten a picture of Cody and Wade together. It is seriously crazy how much they act alike, dress alike and look alike!


After we got home from the camping trip we decided to make our annual trek to the petting zoo in Waterloo. It was perfect weather for it. The first thing we saw when we got there was this turkey!


Brandon checking out the kitties...


Every time Brandon saw the bunnies, he giggled.


The boys both got to feed the animals. They were in heaven!

Eating out of Brandon's little hand... so sweet!

This llama was quite a character. I wish I would have gotten a picture of him and my dad. My dad had the guts to get right in his face to talk to him, and the llama responded by spitting at him! MOST of the spit went right over top of my dad's face... but he did get a few crumbs on his cheek. If that llama would have been just a little bit shorter, my dad would have gotten quite the present!


Jaden absolutely loved sitting by the kitties. He probably would have been pretty happy if we could have taken one home with us.


We are loving summer!