"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, August 12, 2011

Preschool Orientation

Last night Cody and I attended Jaden's preschool orientation... a gathering of parents put together by his teacher/leaders to provide us with a quick 45 minutes worth of information for the upcoming year. And if last night is any indication... I am going to be an absolute mess on his first day of kindergarten.

Jaden will be attending preschool this first year on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:45-11:30. Next year he will switch to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. So... we ease into the school routine this year. I'm starting to think the easing into it is more for my benefit than for his. I'm not sure I'm ready to send my first born off into this next journey of his young life. Last night we were given a packet of information. As Cody and I sat down waiting for the orientation to start, I opened up the first page to find an alphabet worksheet depicting the correct way in which to write each upper and lower case letter. I immediately got teary-eyed. Cody looked at me like I was nuts. The teacher, Mrs. W, spoke of field trips, progress reports, Christmas programs and class pictures. Class pictures?? But... it was just yesterday that we were scheduling his one-year pictures.

Then we went to see the new preschool classroom - they moved rooms around over the summer so we were shown the newly arranged room 145. I looked around at the books, different play stations, numbers, letters and children's names on the walls. And I got teary-eyed again. Cody said, "Nicole, this is just the natural progression of life." I guess so... but it came on way too quickly.

So here we go. Between Jaden and Brandon, the next four years will be spent at Blessed Beginnings Preschool open houses, Christmas programs, parent-teacher conferences and field trips. The next 17-18 years will be spent helping with homework, volunteering to help in classrooms and providing class treats for "Fall Parties." I'm so excited for you, Jaden. I know you'll do great. As you often say, "You totally rock!"