"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Adventures of Homecoming

This past Saturday was THE perfect weather day for UNI Homecoming. And boy did we soak it up. (Maybe a little too much, in my case. More on that later...)

After taking the boys to a park right away in the morning since it was so gorgeous out, we headed up to College Hill. We made a quick pit stop at the UNI Bookstore (very quick -- the place was packed) -- before we headed to the "Virtual Parade." As we were leaving the bookstore, we were greeted with a pretty sweet treat. The Panther Marching Band was marching down the sidewalk right in front of us. Nothing like hearing our Panther drummers to get us pumped up to watch our second-rated Panthers take on the 17th ranked team in the nation.


We followed the band across 23rd Street to join in on the festivities... and our two little boys were in heaven. There was lots of people, there was music, there was drums, there were big inflatables... and there was TC! I think they would have stayed here all day had we let them.



Jaden at the top...


...And Jaden at the bottom.




At one point, we were standing around with friends watching the band when my friend said, "Nicole, Jaden's sprinting away!" Sure enough, Jaden had spotted TC and had gone RUNNING in front of the crowd to the other side of the park to catch up with TC. I was holding Brandon and had to chase after Jaden who had caught up to TC and was in the process of giving him hugs and kisses and getting his pictures taken by the UNI public relations photographer... who later asked me to sign a release form so that they could use Jaden's pictures for marketing, etc. Jaden was so happy and just kept saying over and over again, "I LOVE TC!!" Brandon is pretty taken by him, too... we went right up to TC and instead of being afraid, Brandon started waving at him and touching his nose. :)


It was a great morning celebrating our Panthers.



...And luckily the game also had a good outcome because my night took a quick turn for the worse. At the start of the fourth quarter, I started feeling a migraine coming on. I do not get migraines. I've had a couple in the past, but they were both when I was pregnant with Brandon. It's not something that happens to me in my normal every-day life. By the time the game was over, my head hurt so bad and my stomach was so nauseated that I could barely walk out of the Dome. By the time we got home, I was so bad off that my dad told Cody to take me to the emergency room. By the time we got to the hospital, I could barely answer any of the nurses or doctor's questions because I was in so much pain I literally couldn't focus on what they were asking me. Cody kept having to talk for me. He told me later that the answers I was giving them didn't even make sense. I couldn't open my eyes, and I remember repeatedly saying, "I would rather be in labor right now." It was the worst headache coupled with the most nauseated stomach that I'd ever felt. They ran some tests and after Cody told them we'd been outside most of the day and then inside a very very hot Dome for several hours, the doctor asked me if I had drank any water at all throughout the day. I told her that all I'd had was a few sips of pop, so she then determined I was suffering from dehydration. They had to give me two shots of something that was supposed to hydrate me quickly. I was so confused at that point that I kept having to ask the nurse what she was doing to me. She just kept telling me to wiggle my toes repeatedly while she gave me the shots. This just confused me even more as to why I had to do that... but Cody told me later that it was because the needles on the shots were so long that she wanted me to wiggle my toes so that I wouldn't tense up my arms when she was giving me the shots. She then hooked me up to an IV filled with pain meds, and the last thing I remember was her sticking the IV in my hand. Cody said I passed out 30 seconds later. They released me about an hour after that, and I slept through the night at home. I had some lingering effects of a headache all day Sunday and Monday morning, but then finally felt like myself again Monday afternoon.

Lesson learned. Take care of your kids... but also take care of yourself! Looking back, I realize how stupid it was that I didn't take even a moment to grab myself a drink of water all day. The thing I was most upset about on Sunday was the fact that I wasn't able to fully celebrate the fact that the Panthers won a very big game. Here's to hoping they keep this Panther train rolling... all the way to the number one spot. :)