"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, October 31, 2011

Soaking up the last of Fall

This time of year is always busy. Football and basketball seasons start to overlap, the calendar fills up with Fall parties at both preschool and daycare, hunting season is in full swing, the holiday season looms ahead, and it seems like every event our family wants to attend happens between the months of October and December. Throw in one growing preschooler and a very independent toddler, and we are constantly running from one activity to another.

This past weekend was probably one of the last "nice weather" Saturdays we will have for a while. Our football team was on the road (and on TV), our basketball team was home for an exhibition game, it was Halloween weekend, I wanted to complete a paint project I thought up on a whim, and thankfully... the Tampa Bay Bucs had a bye week so we didn't have to fit that game into our already busy schedule. I wasn't able to accomplish everything I had on my mental to-do list... but we did do a good job of soaking up the last few moments of Fall.

Kicking off the weekend was a Friday night devoted to our traditional UNI pumpkin carving. Jaden had already carved pumpkins at his preschool party the day before, and he thought it was "gross" so he decided to sit this one out. But Brandon was ALL about it. Our little one adores pumpkins - real pumpkins - pumpkin stories - pictures of pumpkins - coloring pumpkins - cartoons about pumpkins... you get the idea. So he was over the moon excited when Cody dragged our large pumpkin inside to get ready for the carving.


He even wanted to kiss and cuddle his pumpkin.


And then he spent several minutes trying to find the best way to sit on it.


Once Cody cut the top off, Brandon didn't hesitate to get down and dirty. He dove right in... literally. ;)


He would have done this for hours. I did get a video of it... I hope to upload it soon.



The finished product. We've been doing a UNI pumpkin for a few years now... Cody surprised me by adding the stars and moon. ;)


On Saturday before naps, after I painted a chalkboard on Jaden's wall, and before I headed to Pepper's to watch the Panthers... we enjoyed the perfect Fall weather. We made sure our bird and squirrel friends would be well fed for the week...



...We rolled around in the leaves some more...
...we went for a walk... (Jaden loves riding his bike in the street)...


...and we spent a little more time admiring our beloved pumpkin. ;)


When I told Brandon it was time to go inside for a nap, he ran and hid under his slide and played some peek-a-boo with me. We love our little stinker-butt. ;)




Tonight we're attempting some trick-or-treating with our little Mario and Smurf. ;) Pictures to come, I'm sure. Happy Halloween!