"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, June 18, 2012

You asked for it... a recipe!

BBQ Chicken over Penne!

Many people have been asking me lately about who does the cooking in our house. I'm one of the lucky ones who married a man that not only knows how to cook... but also likes to cook. We have a pretty awesome system going on in our house.

How the magic happens:

Our local grocery store comes out with their weekly deals every Wednesday. The coupons show up in my mailbox Tuesday night, and an e-mail describing every "red tag" item shows up in my inbox Wednesday morning. I use those red tag deals and coupons to come up with the majority of our grocery list for the week. What meats to buy... what snack items of choice for the week... what items to splurge on for a special treat... etc. In the spring and summer, Cody is happiest at the grill so we do a LOT of grilling. We spice it up with peppers, onions, veggies, foil packs... and maybe accompany it with some bread from time to time. But I also try and pick one tried and true recipe to throw into the mix... and then pick out a new one every week. When picking out my recipes, I always read the reviews of that recipe. A lot of times, those reviews have ways to change up the original recipe to make it even better. Once I pick out the recipe, I do the grocery shopping. I'm much better at budget shopping than Cody and actually use a calculator to tally up every item I throw into the cart. I usually go with a target dollar amount in mind that I want to spend... and I always save the meat for the very end of my shopping trip since that's usually the most expensive, and I like to know how much I've spent up to that point.

That is our system. I plan the budget, check the sale items, find the recipes, read the reviews... and Cody does all the cooking. Except for the baking... I like to bake so he saves that for me.

This most recent new recipe we tried was so good and provided plenty of leftovers. Cody actually changed up the original recipe due to time constraints. The recipe didn't call for it be thrown into the crockpot... but we did... and we'll do it that way again. Here's how to recreate:

*1 or 2 packages of penne pasta. (We used two... we have four mouths to feed and enjoy leftovers for weekend lunches).
*1 or 2 chopped onions. (I can never have enough onion).
*2 garlic cloves, minced.
*2 pounds chicken breast, coated with the BBQ sauce of your choice
*1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
*1/2 cup roasted red pepper
*1/2 cup chicken broth
*1 teaspoon ground cumin
*pepper to taste
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
*3 chopped green onions

Throw all of the above (except for the pasta) into the crockpot and turn it on low for six-eight hours. We didn't put the cheese into the crockpot until the very end.

Cook your pasta and drain. Shred the chicken and throw the crockpot mix over your pasta. Eat!



Hope you enjoy it!