"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, July 22, 2012

This weekend...

...we gathered for a very last minute family pizza night at Ella's house. Jaden played the Tangled game on their Wii, while Brandon found a favorite Barbie in her room and was content to carry it around with him all night. This reminded me of when Casey would play Barbie's at my house, and I would play marbles at his house. Glad to know my boys can adapt to the environment they're in... and since they're okay to play with girl stuff... they're bound to be great daddies someday, right??

...we sold our double stroller. I had been contemplating this and going back and forth about it all summer long. I kept telling myself we might just need it just one more time, but have realized that with Jaden's size and weight and the fact that neither of our kids really like to sit in a stroller anymore... that we could probably make due with just our single-person stroller again. I had Cody pull it out of the garage so I could take a picture of it and dust it off. And of course... I got a little teary-eyed. It never fails... this happens every time we get rid of a major piece of "baby" from our house. I stood there, stared at it, and remembered that first spring, summer and fall after Brandon was born. Jaden was the age Brandon is now, and we took so many walks with the two of them and that stroller. In those days, Jaden was only talking a little bit and Brandon was just an infant... so those walks were always peaceful and provided the opportunity for Cody and I to talk uninterupted for 20 minutes while our kids were happy and peaceful and buckled in tight. Thankfully, when we pulled it out of the garage yesterday, Brandon wanted me to take him for a walk in it one more time. He hasn't wanted to sit in a stroller all summer long... maybe he knew his Mama needed that. :)

...we fought with Brandon over taking a nap on Saturday, and he eventually won. After a little over an hour of battling it, we let him come out into the living room with us for quiet time. He did a good job of laying with us, watching cartoons and playing with some quiet toys for almost an hour...

















...while Brandon played quietly on the floor, I treated myself to a mid-afternoon cup of coffee (with plenty of Chocolate Caramel creamer)... and some bread and Honey. Honey has been my new addiction lately... I have to have a little of it every day.





...eventually Brandon began to get bored without Jaden to play with and started shouting Jaden's name over and over again no matter how many times we told him to keep quiet and that Jaden was still sleeping. I eventually gave up and allowed him to go wake poor Jaden up...





Brandon LOVES his big brother!



...we played outside while Daddy put the finishing touches on our Chicken Enchilada crockpot meal...





...and after supper... since I knew it would probably be one of our last nice nights for weather before the awful heat wave of the next week... we went to a park by the river.







It makes me so sad to see the grass that brown and crunchy. This  morning at church, our pastor prayed for rain. We need it so badly!



Our kids are in their element whenever they are at the park. It's so fun to sit back and watch them. Last night they both figured out how to climb UP the slide... all the way to the top. So they did it over and over again, of course.






























Sunday...

...after a good hour of wrestling on the floor, Brandon was happy to go down for his three hour nap. But... it had to be on the top bunk. During nap time, we split the boys up and have Jaden sleep in our room to make nap time more successful. Brandon has decided that now that he can climb to the top of the bunk beds... he gets to sleep on the top, too...





...we got creative with things to do inside since the temperatures were rising quickly outside...













...we played games of Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders and made one of my favorite spicy pasta dishes that we haven't tackled since Winter...



...we then decided to ignore the dangerous heat warnings and took a post-supper trip to the boys' most favorite park...























...while at the park, Jaden's shoe completely fell apart so we made a late evening trip to Target to buy him a new pair so he wouldn't be without tomorrow...

...before bed, we hit the books and practiced our letters a little bit. We've been slacking quite a bit this summer, and with Jaden's second year of preschool starting in LESS THAN A MONTH... it's time to get back after it so Mrs. W doesn't scold us come August 20th. ;)







...now ready to sink into my couch for the three-hour season finale of the Bachelorette! Sleepy tonight... and tired of the heat. It's hard to enjoy Summer when you can't even be outside. We are looking forward to Fall, the start of school... and Football! And since we have the Sunday NFL Ticket at our house this year, Cody is excited to have Wade over to our place on Sunday afternoons this season. I've been browsing Pinterest for some good Fall appetizers to feed the older boys while also trying to figure out how I'm going to keep my little ones from getting in their way while the Bucs are on TV. ;) The countdown is on to the best time of the year, and with this week's forecast... I can't wait.

Have a good week... here's to hoping for a good thunderstorm and some green grass before September!