"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, August 5, 2012

A happy weekend...



...nothing on the calendar but a haircut for Jaden... and 80 degrees on the weather map...

...we ate good food, played outside, went shopping, fed some animals and watched Brandon go potty on the big potty several times!

...Friday night... some good ol' fashioned chicken and some really yummy zucchini. Put them together... so very good, and we're making it again this week. (With some corn on the cob).



...a back to school shopping spree for Jaden. We saved $70.00 due to tax-free weekend, a 15% off coupon... and 65% off sales at Kohl's. The kid is not even five yet... and we're having to buy clothes in size 7. He's literally eating me out of house and home. ;)





...Saturday... UNI football media day in the Dome. As if I needed any more reason to be excited about football this year... listening to Coach Farley talk will get anyone excited. And the 45 minutes we spent on the sidelines with Coach Verduzco while the players talked to reporters... made me really anxious to watch these guys for the next four years! Football fans... meet our quarterbacks...



...by the time I left the Dome, there was a full-blown thunderstorm outside. I got soaked on the way from the Dome to my car, and it felt so good that I didn't even care that I had taken the time to curl my hair that morning.

...Jaden's first haircut at a salon since he was one. He has incredibly thick hair, and when it gets long enough, it sticks straight up. As he grew into the toddler years, he started throwing monstrous tantrums when we'd try to take him to get his hair cut, so we ended up just buzzing it ourselves the last few years. Saturday... he sat in the chair for the stylist perfectly as she buzzed and trimmed with scisssors. However, when she went to spike the front with some gel... he drew the line. I'm still going to try to gel it into a little spike for school pictures though. ;)



...a rainy and wet Saturday afternoon. The boys napped for three hours, and I actually put in some time for work. With a huge deadline on Monday to have six abstracts edited and submitted for my co-workers for an Academy meeting next year, I wanted to get at least an hour's worth of editing done on Saturday. I've discovered Sunday evenings are much more enjoyable when Monday mornings don't seem so daunting! Mission accomplished.

...after naps... it was time to build.



...Brandon is really getting into building with Legos and Lincoln Logs... and I've since decided that they are going to make up part of our Christmas list for Santa this year! He gets so into his building and is always so proud of himself when he's done. It was so fun watching him pretend to put the horse in the house and make the little man climb the ladder. ;)









...we took horsey rides. These kids laughed SO hard.





...a picture perfect Sunday. After church, we even allowed the kids to endulge in some chips and dip. Our kids don't get chips very often... and I never buy the dip because it's too addicting. Cooler temps brings out the best in me.




...our annual trip the petting zoo. Finally cool enough for it! We had so much fun. I learned that my tough husband has a severe soft spot for kitties... in fact, he seriously now wants to own one. (I have never been a cat person... maybe if they stayed kittens). ...and there were so many giggles coming from our little ones. I think they would have stayed here all day. Picture overload...








































































...the petting zoo must have sparked something in Brandon because he refused to take a nap. So while Jaden and Daddy slept... Mommy and Brandon had ourselves a little date at the bookstore. With chocolate covered graham crackers and a box of chocolate milk at Starbucks.

...we returned home to crockpot Angel chicken over a bed of penne pasta and chocolate chip muffins fresh from the oven...

...to burn it all off... an hour at one of our favorite parks...











...Cody thought it would be funny to spin me around on the merry-go-round as fast as he could...



...two lessons were learned from this. One - I take after my dad and his inability to ride any rides that go around in circles. I used to have no problem doing this. But by the time Cody was done spinning me, I had an upset stomach and had broken out into a sweat. The second lesson - Jaden is even more fiercely protective than what I even knew. In the middle of Cody spinning me, Jaden started shouting as loud as he could from the top of the slide. He then broke out into full sobs. When I got him calmed down and asked him why, he responded with this...

"I didn't want him to spin you so fast!"
"Why not, buddy?"
"Because I didn't want you to get hurt!" (tears streaming down his cheek)... bless his little heart.



...at supper Sunday night, we somehow got to talking about all that God has blessed us with. Jaden said he wanted a new house because our garage is dirty. ;) I explained to him that we needed to be thankful we have a house... and that some little kids don't have homes. We then started listing all of the things we have... like a bed to sleep in, a pillow to rest our head on, food to eat, toys to play with, showers to wash in... etc. In the end... after Jaden had mentioned the many things that he is thankful for... I asked him if he knew what all of that meant. "God has blessed us."

...going to bed tonight with many happy memories of this weekend... and a very full tummy. My cup runneth over.