"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, October 12, 2012

Now I lay me down to sleep...

I returned home from a whirlwind work trip and a very busy week in general to my sweet boys who welcomed me with open arms and sleepy eyes late Tuesday night. Since returning home, I've been trying to play catch-up on the little things. It's amazing that you can feel so behind after being gone for just three days. Catching up on things like bills... mail sorting... gift shopping... school paperwork and letters home... laundry... dusting... and a complete basement re-organization process after we decided to throw away our incredibly large and obnoxiously heavy corner entertainment center. We have church family pictures tomorrow... a wedding tomorrow night... and Jaden has received his third birthday party invite in three weeks. I have learned much about myself in this past week. Scratch that -- I already knew this about myself, but it has been reinforced. I thrive on structure, routine and being able to check things off my "to-do" list. And while I love this time of year and the hustle and bustle that comes with it... I feel much better when I'm able to direct our activities from home -- rather than through notes to Cody on the fridge and frequent text reminders to him from four hours away. I enjoyed my time away. I absolutely love the company I work for. But I'm happy to be home. And what I missed most of all in my three nights of not being able to put my boys to bed... was our incredibly sweet bedtime routine.

"Now I lay me down to sleep..."

It goes a little something like this...

...story time. A book about Fall or Halloween or one of Jaden's favorites... The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything

...brush our teeth... grab our blankies... plug in our nightlight...

..."lay with me, Mommy."

...hands folded together... "Now I lay me down to sleep..."

..."lay with me for one more minute, Mommy..."

..."sing our song, Mommy" ..."I have decided to follow Jesus..."

...two little hands stroking my cheek and giving me eskimo kisses... "tell me a secret, Mommy" ...as he pulls my head close to his ear...

...(mommy whispers -- "i love you, i love you, i love you") ...he giggles while my whispers tickle his ear...



...happy weekend. New pictures to come. :)