"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Take some time to rake the leaves...

...We've got a lot of them around here.



I realize I have been somewhat absent from this blog lately. Days have been moving at warp speed, it seems. Maybe it's because it's getting darker earlier or maybe it's because our calendar has so many scribbles on it... but my camera has remained on the shelf more often lately, and I recently found myself somewhat forgetting to appreciate all the simple reasons that I love this time of year. Brandon had to have a babysitter three Saturday nights in a row. Our kids have each gone through rounds of antibiotics. Jaden has had two birthday parties in the past two weeks, was diagnosed with allergies requiring daily medicine, our car needs unexpected repairs, and Cody and I have had multiple wedding invites, a work trip... and losing football teams. A couple of days ago, exhausted and cranky, I had to give myself a mental pep talk. I had been doing so much and trying to be so many places that I was forgetting to allow myself time to slow down. I wasn't lighting my Pumpkin Spice candles at night. I wasn't making an effort at the grocery store to put together good dinner plans. I hadn't opened my Nook to read in two weeks. I wasn't playing in the leaves with my kids.

I threw myself a little pitty-party in the comforts of my own home, and I feel better now. I spent two weeks crossing the days off the calendar before realizing that October is already half-way over. And I am in no way ready to close the door on my favorite time of year. So I'm "starting over." Still with a full calendar, but a better attitude to go along with it. This week... I read a whole chapter in my Nook. I spent time making way too much Pumpkin Pie dip that we will never finish... and in doing so, realized that it's okay to make the store-bought peanut butter cookies that we will devour in two days. I bought Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer. There's no reason that the joys of Christmas should be contained within just one month. I raked leaves with my kids.








...and I didn't take very many pictures. I gave myself a break. We all need one from time to time. :)

Sun-shiny days ahead -- perfect for Homecoming weekend and a trip to the Pumpkin Patch!