"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, November 18, 2012

What I learned this weekend...

...there is a big difference between 27 and 21.

Chris - one of my closest friends from high school - got married on Friday night. The whole evening was sort of like a high school reunion... but with only the people you really want to see, and none of the people you would prefer not to see. ;)

I got to reunite for several hours with Sarah - my best friend from grade school. And with Annalisa - my best friend from high school. Along with their moms, several other close friends... and even an ex-boyfriend. Forgive the fuzzy cell phone pictures...




And though the wine flowed easily on Friday night, I quickly discovered on Saturday that I can't quite recover the way I used to. What was supposed to turn into a busy day of UNI basketball and football games ended with me making the choice to forego both events for a trip to the library and a night of pizza with my boys instead. I absolutely love Christmas books, but I decided it would be better on our gifts budget if I borrowed some instead of buying out the entire Barnes and Noble holiday section. I also am determined to utilize the library more and conquer my fear of not knowing where anything is. I became much more acclimated on this visit, and considering the boys didn't even want to leave... I'd say we might become public library regulars this winter.





While I looked up titles on their computer and browsed their Holiday shelves and DVD collection, Jaden and Brandon pretended to vacuum their house and cook a meal in the oven. And all the while my stubborn little boy refused to take his coat off...








Eventually Brandon wandered over to the fish tank and Jaden started choosing his own books off the shelves. When it was time to leave, I showed Jaden the red cart he needed to put his misplaced books back on, and they both watched as I scanned our library card and checked out the books and movies one by one. I have always loved to read, and it's something I hope to instill in the boys, too.











We capped off our evening with a drive down Main Street after dark so we could get our first glimpse of the Christmas lights lining the streets. While the UNI football game played on the car radio, we drove through the McDonald's drive-thru for a cup of pick-me-up. And while we waited for Daddy to get home from the game, we had a pizza picnic in our living room, watched our library Magic School Bus DVD's and  lost ourselves in picture books filled with twinkling lights, snowmen and Santa's.







It's safe to say we're more than ready to Deck the Halls ourselves.

What else did we do this weekend?...




...we snuggled. Brandon refused to take a nap on Saturday, but both boys napped for three hours on Sunday!

...we Cody hung the Christmas lights on the house in preparation for their Thanksgiving night lighting.




...we ate chicken and wild rice soup and indulged in our last Dairy Queen blizzard until Spring while catching up on the DVR.

***
 
Gearing up for a full week ahead. Thanksgivings and Holiday Hoopla's and shopping and baking and decorating! 'Tis the season!