"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

roasts and toasts and cheers.

It's been a while since my last update -- over a week -- and after realizing that this morning, I realized how fast this summer is already flying by. With next week being 4th of July week already, I know it will seem like we will be snapping our fingers and Jaden's first day of school will be here and we'll be kicking off football season. I was walking through Hobby Lobby yesterday to kill some time -- (I actually left without purchasing anything) -- and they had all of their Fall stuff on display and were busy putting out all of their Christmas items.

With time flying by, we've been doing our best to soak our toes into some chlorine as much as possible -- and celebrating some other special occasions.

Like...

My dad's retirement party/ROAST.



It would take me an entire day to write about why I'm so proud of my dad, but I'll just sum it up by saying that I'm lucky to be his daughter. The outpouring of love and support that has been shown to him by our community the last few weeks has been more than heartwarming and has only further reinforced why we have chosen to raise our family in this special little town. I'm sure glad I was raised here.




Giving him the key to the city...


My uncle Bud gave an awesome speech, and my kids MADE the night. Right at the end of my dad's speech, they burst through the crowd, ran towards the podium and jumped into my dad's arms for big hugs. Like out of a movie.




 
We took Brandon to his first movie on the big screen - Monsters University - and though I had no idea what to expect going into it, I couldn't stop staring at him throughout the viewing. He looked so little -- yet so big -- sitting in that movie theater chair with the giant tub of popcorn between his legs. He sat still for the most part -- only moving back and forth between Cody's lap, my lap -- and wherever the popcorn bucket was -- and didn't have to take a potty break one time. Our little one is growing up.


We have been outside as much as possible. This picture below makes me laugh. Our deck is a true extension of our home during this time of year, and during some of the less humid and dry days, I've been enjoying my lunch hour out there with a book and some fresh air for Lucy.


The pool.



Last night, we had our best night at the Falls yet. It was one of those nights where you marvel at your children and the people they are becoming. It's true that if your kids are happy, all is right with the world. They had so much fun. 10 minutes after we got there, Jaden and Brandon's friends from daycare showed up. Tate and Kyla - siblings - five and three years of age. Brandon quickly gravitated to Kyla and spent the entire evening doing just as she did. While we moms talked and supervised, the kids went three times around the lazy river - each in their own tubes - while Brandon and Kyla held hands the entire time. After that we took the kids into the bigger pool for the first time where Jaden attempted swimming under water while Tate started going down the big water slides by himself. After watching Tate several times, I convinced Jaden to give the big tube slide a try - by himself - without me. Understand that the tube slide is completely in the dark with lots of turns and twists. He did it. And loved it. And then did it again and again and again. Every time the slide would dump him into the pool at the end, he would come up out of the water with his eyes wide and the biggest grin on his face. Memories made all over the place.

This weekend is Sturgis Falls and my 10-year high school reunion.

Yup. Time flies.

Cheers to summer. Cheers to water babies. Cheers to shirtless boys and grilled hamburgers. Cheers to memory making and celebrations and chalk-filled driveways.







Cheers.