"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, June 14, 2013

VBS Week


Jaden attended Vacation Bible School for the second time this week, and though it gives us a hectic schedule, it's always nice to have lots of one-on-one time with one child. Since Brandon has to wait another year to attend VBS and Cody works most nights, Brandon and I had a lot of bonding time. My patience was tested several times, but I also got to soak up this adorable little three-year old of ours. It's amazing how much you can take in when you are allowed to focus on just one child for a while. Just his vocabulary and the way he expresses himself seem to grow by leaps and bounds every week, and truth be told -- this little one of ours never stops talking!! He is our littler chatterbox lately, and we had a lot of interesting conversations this week. ;)


It's also a goal of mine to make each night special for him since he knows Jaden is off doing fun things without him. And Jaden did have so much fun. The youth program at our church is fabulous, and it's one of the big reasons we choose to be members there. By the end of the week, Jaden was even brave enough to get up on the stage in front of the entire group to help lead the last worship song!



Yup... that's our three year old. Protesting pictures and no doubt sticking his tongue out at me underneath the helmet.


Memorable moments from each night this week:

Dinner time was always a mad dash to get the food ready, get the kids fed and fit in time for potty breaks before dropping Jaden off. Monday night I resorted to pb&j sandwiches - made special with my sports themed cookie cutters. A baseball glove sandwich is a super easy way to get rid of that pesky crust that no kid likes.


Monday night Brandon and I went to one of his favorite parks. It was hot, and there was a loud youth baseball game going on nearby, but this kid would have slept there. He is my little monkey...



We packed a lot in to Tuesday night. A Scratch cupcake, a walk through downtown CF, some time with our water table and a walk in the stroller through our neighborhoods. Brandon picked the sprinkled cupcake, and of course ate all the frosting off of it first. Priorities, right?










Wednesday night... the night of the twisters.

Okay not really, but it was a crazy night. VBS was cancelled, and the tornado sirens started sounding just as I was pulling into the daycare parking lot, allowing me to take part in their emergency procedures. We all had to huddle in the baby room and wait it out. Brandon loved it as it allowed him to play with new toys he'd never seen, and Jaden stuck close to me - not asking any questions but obviously aware that something was amiss. As soon as we were able to try and leave, the second round of sirens starting sounding and we drove home amidst very dark skies and me constantly eyeing the clouds for rotation. As we pulled into the driveway, my husband was out cutting the grass -- which isn't the greatest way to teach our children to take the warnings seriously! Brandon shouted at Daddy to come inside to get away from the "tomato" and we spent the rest of the evening looking up tornado images on the ipad and watching the weather on the TV. I tried to educate the kids on what tornados are without scaring them, and Brandon assured his brother (who tends to be very dramatic) that his head couldn't blow off because it's "stuck to me." Boys...

Thursday night I raced the kids to McDonalds for a Happy Meal where an elderly lady purposely cut in front of me in line, none of the food we needed was prepared and Brandon spilled all of his chocolate milk directly down the front of his shirt. From that chaos, Brandon and I went to the pool for the first time this summer, and I marveled at the difference in Brandon's enthusiasm for the pool from last year. Last year, I had to carry him around a lot, he was slightly hesitant to get into the deeper water, and this year he dove right in. He was freezing part of the time with blue lips but sobbed when it was time to leave and is begging to go back.

It's been a wild week with all of us running in separate directions. Brandon asked me this morning, "Is tomorrow a stay at home day? With Daddy? And Jaden?! All of us together?!"

Looking forward to getting back to some normalcy around here...

Which does not include this little friend that showed up on our property yesterday:


I've been seeing lots of posts on Facebook about turtles since just yesterday! Maybe remnants of the flooding from a few weeks ago??

Happy weekend!