"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, July 15, 2013

Random Ramblings

Jaden... just one month left of daycare. I officially turned in his last day to the daycare office today. It felt surreal, a little sad -- and very exciting. His teacher told me she's going to miss him -- and that I must bring him back to visit. Last week his class studied ice cream. They went on a field trip to 4 Queens and decorated their door with ice cream cone pictures and words for each child describing what makes them "sweet." On Jaden's ice cream cones were the words -- Basketball. Loving. Cool. Caring. He has been having the time of his life this summer. His class has gone on multiple field trips -- to the pool -- different parks throughout town -- the movie theater -- and the youth pavilion. It will be interesting to see how he transitions from that to Kindergarten and the routine of school days.

Brandon... what a silly little boy. He's been challenging lately -- trying to test his boundaries more than usual, but after a rough couple of weeks, we seem to be sailing into smoother waters again. And even when he's difficult, he is oh so sweet. He obsesses over picking flowers for his mommy, talks about his two Kyla's at daycare every night and is really becoming a fishy in the water. It's been fun watching him get more and more comfortable at the pool and he'll even dunk his entire head under water from time to time. Even though he only talks about the girls at daycare, his teacher has assured me more than once that he plays with the boys, too. What can I say? He's just a ladies man.

Random note... last week, we had a really rough Tuesday night. Both boys were crabby, Mommy was crabby and Daddy was working again. I was determined for Wednesday night to be better. So after picking them up from daycare, we cranked up the volume on the car radio on the way home, and we threw a full-on dance party in the Taurus. I sang silly, danced and bobbed my head at the stoplights and had my boys laughing and calling me weird the whole way home. I know for a fact there were some other drivers on Rainbow Dr. who thought I was crazy, but my plan worked -- and it set the mood for a much better evening than the night before. Sometimes... there ought to be more dancing.

Looking forward to... Sally and Bob's visit in August. Jaden's first t-ball practice next week. Our first back-to-school supplies shopping experience. Only one more month of double daycare fees. An easy second half of July before a very busy August. My first order of printed Instagram pics.

Enjoying the small things... my iced coffee every day after work out on the deck while the boys eat their fruit snacks... my favorite puzzles app on my iPad... the way Lucy perches on the armrest of the recliner when she wants to stare outside for hours... my mint chocolate chip Bath and Body Works candle... the way the boys smell after their bath... clean sheets on the bed... Big Brother keeping us entertained during a dead TV season... Hickory Farms Chipotle Ranch Sauce... my current reading material... Mud Pie Blizzards from Dairy Queen... corn on the cob... summer nights on the deck... Brandon's tan lines on his feet from his flip flops... Dave Bartlett's sermon yesterday -- "Why are you still afraid?" My new washi tape from Target... watering my flowers... the assurance that Summer will turn into Fall.

In closing, a few pictures to share from our time at Community Safety Day. For two years now, Jaden has said he wants to be a fireman when he grows up. First, he's going to have to get over his fear of that really tall ladder...