"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Brandon the Preschooler

Whew! What a week this has been. Our oldest starting Kindergarten, youngest starting preschool... and a whole lot of rollercoaster emotions to go with it all. We sent Brandon off to preschool on Tuesday for the first time, and I'm so glad that he will be a preschooler for two whole years so that I can still call him my little one for a while longer. ;)

The night before his first class, we took Jaden's bag that he had used for two years of preschool and added Brandon's name to it. This made it official to him, and he was so proud to have his name on that bag. In fact, when he carried it through the hallways after his first day, he was going up to random parents he'd never spoken to before just to show off his bag! "It has my name on it! It's my new preschool bag!" It's not a new bag at all - very used, and we probably should get a new one eventually - but it's new to him, and after watching Jaden use it for two years, you could just see the confidence Brandon felt in himself while holding it.  (Even though it is almost as big as he is!)

In keeping with tradition, I took Brandon out for a special breakfast date the morning of his first day just as I have been doing with Jaden. He was too excited and hyper to eat much, but he did serenade the entire McDonald's with his version of the ABC song... over and over again. ;)

He's three!



(We shared a breakfast... this wasn't all for him!)

 
 
Once it was time to drop him off for class, the nerves started to set in with him. First of all, we could not get him to actually cross the parking lot and go to the doors. He saw dandelions sprinkled throughout and insisted on collecting every single one of them to put in his preschool bag and bring home with him.
 

 
When we finally got him to the building, he was in no mood for pictures.
 


 
 
And by the time we got him inside to line up with his class? This is what he looked like...
 
 

 
He went into a pout before going into complete meltdown mode. Looking back on it now, I chuckle, but it wasn't very funny at the time! He did not want to stand against the wall without me, kept leaving the line to throw his arms around my legs and when Mrs. W started addressing the kids and teaching them the right way to walk in a line, he threw himself on the ground - on his tummy - and refused to follow in line when the kids started walking down the hallway. I had to pick him up off the ground, carry him to the end of the line - and hand him off to the teacher's assistant, walking out the door myself instead of taking cute pictures like the rest of the parents were doing! If I hadn't left at that point, the teachers never would have been able to get him back to the classroom.
 
Needless to say, I was very anxious to pick him up at the end of the day. And when I did, he was in a great mood, talked a lot about preschool, said he was a good boy, that he never got in trouble and that he had fun. He then asked when he would get to go back! And sure enough, I got a good report from his teacher the next day. I knew he would have fun once Cody and I left him. He always puts on such a show for his mommy! ;)
 
 

 
 So hard to believe that my BABY is in preschool! We love you buddy!