"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Our Kindergarten Rock Star


Jaden had his first day of Kindergarten last Thursday, and when I picked him up at 3:30 it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. He LOVED it. And now four, full days in... he still does.

The morning of, Cody and I took him out for breakfast at Village Inn, and I felt like it was MY first day of school. I had no appetite, could hardly eat and had nervous butterflies in my tummy. Jaden on the other hand... finished his whole plate of eggs, sausage, fruit and toast, orange juice... and was still hungry for more. I was nervous for the little things. Like -- what will the car line be like? Will we be late? Will we have time for pictures in front of the building? Will he cling to me once we get to the door? Will I be able to hold it together in front of him? Does he have the right clothes according to the dress code? Etc. Etc. Etc.

We got to the school in time, took a few pictures in front of the building and then walked him to his classroom. Ms. Kimpston had a coloring page set out for each child with their name on it so he knew which desk to sit at. He hung his bag up in his locker, grabbed his supplies box out of his cubby where we had placed it at the open house the night before, and promptly sat down at the desk across from another little girl to begin coloring. I kissed him on the cheek, didn't look back as we walked out the door and made it all the way to the car before I shed my tears.

I thought about him all day. Prayed that he was happy and knew that we loved him. And couldn't wait for 3:30. When I got there to pick him up, he walked out the door with a huge grin on his face and said, "I LOVED it Mommy!" And every day since, he has said the same thing. He's been at the top of or completely off their "good choices" chart every day. He has been given a super star student sticker one day and a tattoo on his cheek another for being a rock star in class. He's enjoyed gym, art, music and library and loves lunch time. He even loves the dress code, and I must admit that Brandon was right on the first morning when he told Jaden, "You look cool, Jaden!" We've been told by three other teachers -- one of them a retired Kindergarten teacher from the same school - that Jaden was given the best teacher there is, and that he will learn a lot. He's met the principal a few times who calls him by name, and I personally know three teachers in the building that are looking out for him and telling me that he's doing awesome.

We feel so blessed with how all of this came together and worked out. We love his school, I already have a good relationship with his principal, and he's happy there. I'm sure at some point the novelty will wear off, but he's off to a great start.





We made it. He rocked it. All is well.