"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Sunday, October 6, 2013

October.


If someone asked me to describe my perfect October weekend, I'd point them to this one. We filled it with things like movie nights and football watching, pumpkin patches and board games, new brown boots and leggings and sweatshirts and yoga pants. We filled our stove with chili, our oven with apple crisp and our tummies with comfort food. It was the best of weekends, and I'm so hoping this month stretches itself out a bit because there is so much good in it.

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it's easy to see why they call it the season of blessings. There's something about the leaves changing and the air turning crisp that entices me to feel thankfulness on a whole new level. This weekend I found it in the things that often get overlooked in the chaos of life. Like our super sweet new neighbor that goes out of her way just to say hello... or our little Lucy cat that we truly adore. I found it in my first ever attempt at apple crisp... and how cute my boys looked in their winter jammies on a cold Sunday night. I found it in Brandon asking me to practice writing his name with him... and Jaden challenging me to a race in Mario Kart. I found it in my three boys practicing with their new Ninja Turtles yo-yo from the Target dollar bins... and how fun it was when we were all laughing at Lucy as she thought the toy was meant just for her. This weekend was just what I needed in between work trips... and as we gear up for holidays and weddings and Jaden's first basketball season. So much busy... but so much good ahead.

Here's how we spent our first October weekend.

Friday night... movie night. The Little Mermaid was brought out of the Disney vault this week, and our boys had been asking to see it ever since the commercials started showing up on TV. I decided to surprise them by renting it for them on Friday, but I'm not sure who was more excited... them or me. It's one of my all-time faves!


We cozied up on a rainy night... ate an early dinner, took an early bath and snuggled into our PJ's. Pillows and blankets on the floor, popcorn and Reese's pieces. It was the perfect way to end the busy week.







Saturday... our favorite football team on TV. Two kinds of soups, chicken wings and chocolate chip cookies. And later, instead of going to bed on time, we took the boys to the new Cherry Berry for some self-serve yogurt. It just so happened that Jaden's good friend Jack's family had the same idea.








Sunday we opted for a quiet morning at home. Cinnamon rolls and coffee and playing kitchen in the basement.


We went back and forth on whether to try to go to the pumpkin patch with temperatures barely expected to reach 50 degrees and rain chances all day long. But we took a chance, went for it, and managed to enjoy a couple of hours there in between heavy rain showers. And because the weather was iffy... we practically had the whole place to ourselves!








In our house, pumpkin patch day is almost right up there with Christmas morning and the boys' birthdays. As soon as our Fall decorations go up, they start asking when we are taking our trip to the patch.









Cody thinks this turkey took a liking to him as he seemed to follow Cody around wherever he went. I think the turkey could sense a hunter on his turf and was trying to shoo him away. ;)







We also ran into another friend from daycare!




What's a pumpkin patch without a hayride?? This was Brandon's first hayride as he's always been too afraid to do it in the past. He liked it a lot but kept asking why we were sitting on hay. ;)











And the little train ride... this was a big hit!





They even had the fire going in the fire pit so we could warm our hands up!



This mama and her babies walked around like they owned the place. I've decided I want pet ducks now, too.


Picture overload...






















And all Brandon really wanted out of the day was his own "little" pumpkin. He found just the one and hugged it the whole way home.



We got back to our house just as it was getting colder outside and warmed ourselves with a quiet afternoon at home. I made my first apple crisp -- Cody and I worked together in the kitchen -- he peeled, I cut -- and our house smelled great as it all warmed in the oven!



We filled the rest of our day with a trip to Target, Starbucks and juice boxes, chili and Candyland. A warm bath followed up by warm apple crisp and vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure it gets any better than that.




Happy October everyone!