"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Round 1

We're pretty busy around here... finding time to shop for those last minute gift ideas, putting bows on every package, finalizing the Christmas baking plans... and keeping our cat out of the tree! With just four days left before the official start of Christmas break, I've got year-end work projects to wrap up, teacher gifts to plan and a husband who is working crazy hours and sleeps whenever he's home. There are moments -- they are few and far between -- but there are indeed moments when I wonder why I love this time of year so much. It always has stress. It's always incredibly busy. And sometimes I feel like I single-parent my way through it with Cody's schedule the way it is. But when I find myself getting caught up in the craziness of all of it, I force myself to pause. To walk away from whatever it is that's causing me stress and to strip it all down to the simple.

A home lit by Christmas trees in almost every room. A nativity scene to gaze at when needing a reminder. Two boys that love to help me put ribbons on packages. A special Christmas story every night before bed.

The way my boys' faces light up over Santa, Silent Night on the radio and how they have found joy in shopping for others. A baby doll picked out by Brandon for a child in need. Jaden putting name tags on every gift under the tree. How Jaden can't stop talking about the Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. He remembers.

The way they tell the story of Jesus' birth in their own words and understanding... and how they sound when belting out Christmas carols from the bathtub every night.

***
 
Sharing a few pictures from our first family gathering of the season. The kids had SO much fun with their cousins. It's too bad we don't all see each other more often. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
 


































The boys also "helped" Tim and Deanne decorate a Christmas tree in their new house this weekend. They moved to Cedar Falls just a few days ago, and we wanted to add some Christmas cheer to their new home while they work at adjusting to their new normal amidst the unpacked boxes and mixed emotions.
 





 
Somebody is becoming a Target shopping pro just like his mama...
 
 

Only nine more sleeps to go. Cheers!