"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, February 7, 2014

'52' - Week 5

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2014"
 
 
Ice cream at Nana and Papa's on a Tuesday night. He always chooses the strawberry swirl over the chocolate. He and I shared some special time together yesterday at his preschool open house. He was so happy to have me there and so proud to show off his surroundings to me. And when Mrs. W asked him in front of the class who his special guest was, he blushed a little in the cheeks and proudly called me his Mommy and then told them my name is Nicole. He squeezed my hands tight as I sat with his class during Mrs. W's story time, and I got to hear him sing his class songs and watch him do the hand motions and little dances that go along with them. When it was time for me to leave, I got a really big hug and then watched as my confident boy ran off to be with his friends for snack time. I so wanted to keep him little in that moment.
 
 
Laughing at Lucy as she watches birds out the window... a teacher in-service day and another day home from school. And still sporting the Becker Bear paw sticker on his cheek from the day before. He wears one of these stickers home almost daily, a sign from his teacher that he made good choices all day long. It was a big week for Jaden. He was nominated by one of the teachers in the school to be Super Star Leader of the month. He was recognized at a special lunch, gets his name in the school newsletter, has his picture hung on the hallway inside the school and gets to go to a special party at the end of the year. We are so proud of him. He also had his six-year physical, and he is sticking with his growth curve. Still in the 90th percentile for weight and above the 95th percentile for height. He was a wild chatterbox with the doctor and had her laughing during his appointment. He also got to hear his own heartbeat through the stethoscope three different times, as every doctor and nurse that came through the doors wanted to have fun with him. The doctor told me that his desire to understand how everything works will help him greatly throughout his school years. "He's going to learn a lot," she said. And then last night... a private message from his teacher asking me if she could share something about him on Facebook. She told me that he had made her day, that he had "filled her bucket" as she shared one of his little writings he had completed in class that day. "This is why I'm a teacher," she said. Our little boy is so hard on himself when it comes to his writing and is terrified to try complete sentences. He conquered his fear yesterday in a big way. Wow... so far, six years old has been good!