"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Chalk Love


I absolutely love chalk. To me, there are endless possibilities of how to use it. A couple of years ago, we made a chalk wall in the boys' room for them to use however they choose. After that, I used chalk paint on a plain white door on our bathroom closet. I use that spot for Bible verses and words of encouragement, and it's held up really well. I also have a couple of little chalk boards around the house, but they are small and don't allow for much creativity.
 
There's a wall in our kitchen that I've been wanting to spice up for a while now. The same frame has been hanging there since we bought the house and as I mentioned in my recent Valentine's post, the Winter months drive my desire to revamp our space a little bit and bring some freshness to it. I like changing things up, but I obviously like to do it on a budget. I've been wanting a large chalkboard space for seasonal drawings, quotes and fun designs. I didn't want to paint an entire wall, but I wanted something that I could move around when needed and also utilize for parties and in family pictures. I went to Hobby Lobby in hopes of finding a very large old frame in their clearance aisle... one that I could revamp and paint with chalk paint on the backing, but I found something better.
 

$14.00 regularly priced and 40% off with my coupon. For those of you that aren't aware, Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon on their website every single week. I never leave home without one. ;)

The framing was a plain light wood, and I debated for a while on what color to paint it, but I decided on just plain white. It goes with everything, and I really am into decorating with white right now. It just brightens everything up, and it's simple and clean.

I taped off the chalkboard backing and spent about 15 minutes painting two coats of white around the framing.


...and got exactly what I was hoping I would get. A nice, large chalkboard now hangs on our main wall in our kitchen and all for about $10.00 including the paint!
 


I added some white string lights around it for added effect at night. I bought a couple of these strands of lights back in the Fall for $7.00 a piece. They are battery operated and hold up pretty well.
 


 


 
Happy chalking!