"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, February 3, 2014

Simple Valentine's Decor

I'm not much of a Valentine's Day enthusiast but I am a fan of seasonal décor, and in these long winter months, I'm looking to do just about anything to brighten up our home and make us feel cheery.

Since February is a shorter month and there's only two weeks between February 1st and the holiday itself, I don't like to do too much or go to too much effort to ready our home for 'heart day.' In fact, last year I don't think I put out any Valentine's décor. I have a few pieces in storage that I bought when we first got married, but to be honest, they don't really suit my tastes anymore. So... over my lunch hour one day I set out to find a simple and cheap way to make our house look festive without any expense and with easy clean up when it's February 15th and time to put it all away already.

I gathered some twine, some construction paper and some small clothes pins... all items I already had on hand in my craft drawer. I cut out some paper hearts in all different colors and without following any particular pattern and hung them from the twine with the clothes pins. Next year I'll probably use fabric rather than paper, but like I said -- I used items I already had on hand and wanted something easy and quick.

I gathered a couple of $2.00 candle votives from Hobby Lobby when I went there for something else and added them to the mantle. A simple pink flower that I already had on hand and woah-la. Simple Valentine's mantle.