"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, March 14, 2014

happy things.

...homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies after school. I realized that I had all the ingredients necessary one afternoon and made them to be fresh for Brandon when we picked him up from daycare. One of the many benefits of working from home... you can watch your e-mails and your oven at the same time! I will never be Martha Stewart but I have dreams of always having fresh cookies and cold milk on the kitchen counter when the boys bring their friends over after sports practice. ;)



...one-on-one basketball in the boys' bedroom. Brandon's love for shooting hoops is developing at about the same time as his brother's did, and lately they've been having shooting contests on their bedroom basketball hoop. They compete to see who can make the most baskets (taking turns - and with Brandon using a step stool!). I overheard them trying to keep score one night and suggested they use their chalkboard wall for a scoreboard. Sure enough, they each wrote their own name with their number of baskets made underneath. So far, the competition has remained pretty friendly, and they can keep at it for an hour without stopping. And... I walked in the other night just in time to see Jaden practicing a real hook shot!

...our first dose of Spring. A few days ago it was a beautiful 50-some degrees. The sun was shining, the breeze was still and the snow was melting. I opened our kitchen window for Lucy, who spent the entire afternoon and evening laying in the window, and I just knew she was thanking me all day long in her own little way. The boys didn't break out into a single fight all night, and Cody and I were both in great moods. Spring is wonderful, and I can't wait to embrace more of it.

...a spring Scentsy order. I place an order twice a year... once in the Fall and once in the Spring, and I can't wait to open up that box upon delivery.

...Brandon's four-year checkup. Just like Jaden did, he charmed the nurse and the doctor. He was goofy, talkative and helpful. He answered their questions while smiling, cooperated fully for the vision screening and looked adorable in the little hospital gown. He's sticking to his growth curve, stuck somewhere between the 10th and 25th percentile for both height and weight, although everyone in the doctor's office commented on how he really seems to have shot up since the last time they saw him.

...a Target shopping visit. Although I still consider Fall to be my favorite season overall, I'm starting to think every NEW season is my favorite. I love when the seasons change and I love getting a fresh start every few months. I stopped at Target during lunch the other day and though I forced myself NOT to buy out the whole store, I did come away with some summer clothes for Jaden, a bunny candle holder, a new top for me and some cute flower pots for our deck. And later that night Cody and I returned together to get a new console table for our living room. I'm in love with it.

...watching the boys play hide and seek with Cody. It's really more a game of the little ones hiding, and Cody sneaking up on them and scaring them. They think it's hilarious, and it always ends up with them laughing hysterically and getting as loud as possible.

...Brandon's imagination when he thinks we're not paying any attention. The other night he was taking a bath, and we sat and listened to him play with his Spiderman and lizard man action figures in the tub. He pretended to have a conversation between the two of them, changing his voice to match the character, and his story eventually evolved into the two figures fighting off a tornado made out of bath bubbles. It was adorable.

...story time before bed. What used to not happen as much as it should have has become a routine no one likes to miss. The boys know that when the big hand is on the 2 on our living room clock, that it's time to put everything down, turn everything off, and cuddle up on the couch for books. And sometime during the second book is when Brandon's head casually falls onto my shoulder.

...planning for the new puppy at my mom and dad's house. We're taking a shopping trip over lunch to pick out toys and treats and leashes. He comes home in less than two weeks, and I can't wait for puppy snuggles!

...Dairy Queen and Four Queens opening. And Shamrock shakes.

Have a good weekend!