"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter 2014, Part 1

**Easter Eve**




 

 
I'm calling it the best Easter ever. The weather cooperated just when we needed it to, we were surrounded by family from all over, I had an extra day off work... and our kids? Joyful. I've decided that if I could freeze time and keep them both at the ages they are now, I would. They are both old enough to fully understand holidays, take part in every tradition and be able to play independently and contently while the grownups enjoy some holiday cheer, too. But... they are also still young enough to find joy in the simple Easter egg hunts in their own backyard, to celebrate the coming of the Easter Bunny and to fall asleep in their car seats on the way home from a fulfilling day full of celebrating.
 
The day before Easter we headed out in the morning for what we hoped would be a fun Easter egg hunt in the community. That turned into a bust as the crowd was intense, and after a long wait, the boys came away with not a single egg. I was so proud of them for how they handled the disappointment, but promised them our own hunt later that night. We spent the rest of the day preparing to have family over for a cookout, and we were lucky that the small chance of rain in the forecast held out until late that night. We baked, we played outside and we hid some Easter eggs.



These chocolate chip cookie Easter nests were so yummy... just throw the batter in some muffin tins and put some chocolate-filled Cadbury eggs on top when they come out of the oven. So simple... so good!


We had my parents and my Aunt Sally over for steaks Saturday night and kicked off the evening with an Easter egg hunt around our house. My dad helped me hide the eggs, and the boys had a blast. They had been so patient for an egg hunt since the earlier one was a bust, and it was so sweet to hear their excitement every time they spotted one.
 













 
More pictures from Saturday night...
 








 
Our pet ducks came back, and the boys had fun feeding them once again. They introduced Aunt Sally to the movie Frozen and they went to bed right after baths... convinced the Easter Bunny wouldn't visit the house unless they went to sleep quickly.
 




 
Much more to come!