"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, May 1, 2014

happy things.

"This is how I want to live. To notice the good -- always the good -- before anything else... and above all else."
 
Amen.
 
***
 
Happy things lately...
 
...watching Jaden at his spring concert.


He has come a long ways since his shy days at his preschool concerts when he refused to sing or dance and often times scowled at us from the stage. He actually sang this time, smiled a few times in our direction... and never showed a single scowl. Afterwards he got to take his grandparents, great grandparents and Aunt Sally back to his classroom to show off his space and introduce his teacher. He was a pretty proud little man.





...watching these two play some one-on-one basketball in the driveway on a Saturday afternoon. They did the real thing - playing defense against each other, rebounding, even dribbling the ball between their legs. It was friendly competition, but I have a feeling that as Jaden continues to grow and age, those one-on-one contests are going to get a little more intense. ;)






...a special spring flower delivery from work and a salon gift card. I have plans for some serious pampering before our anniversary/Mother's Day weekend coming up.


...Jaden reading a full book to us for the first time one night before bed. He read all of Green Eggs and Ham while we sat and listened, hardly needing to pause for help. I never realized how long that book is until hearing my six year old read it! We're so proud of him, and I hope that as his ability to read on his own grows, his desire to read will, as well. I love reading, and I really hope he will, too.

...watching Brandon start to really shadow his Daddy. Lately, he has been obsessed with always wanting to wear his black Nike shorts. It didn't dawn on me why until I saw Cody wearing his black Nike shorts around the house one night after work. Then, last night Cody wanted to go to the store to get some crackers for our soup. Even though we were in the middle of a new movie, Brandon jumped up and wanted to go with him. (Both of them wearing their shorts). I put his coat on him, and he said, "I don't need to zip my coat!" I looked up at Cody -- and saw that his coat was unzipped. After they got home from the store, Brandon wanted to take his socks off because they were "wet." I looked at Cody's feet - he wasn't wearing any socks either. It is the cutest thing.

...and speaking of shadowing Daddy. Up until last week Brandon was terrified of showers. And I mean -- put him in a shower and he would scream bloody murder. The kind of crying that takes 20 minutes to calm down from. As our lives get busier and the boys grow, there are nights where quick showers are much more convenient than long drawn-out baths. So last Friday night Cody took his time and his patience and walked Brandon through a shower. Whatever he said to him and did for him worked because now Brandon LOVES showers.

...Brandon randomly asking me to take a "two brothers" picture before Jaden left for soccer on Sunday.


...new white and fresh curtains for our bedroom and some upcoming plans for some kitchen improvements.
 
...Starbucks' non-fat caramel mocha latte's on the way to daycare in the afternoon. 
 
...teaching Brandon to play "War" with our deck of cards and a game of Go Fish before dinner.
 
...an extended lunch at Olive Garden with two of my favorite work friends and a silver lining in a rainy week -- working from my couch in my pj's under my fuzzy blanket. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer some sun and an evening family walk but there's nothing like working from home in a thunderstorm.
 
...holding on to truth:
"Do not rush, for God's secret is patience. Everything that is meant to be, will come at the designated time."
 
...Hopefully that means some sunshine, too.
 
Happy May. Happy almost weekend. Happy almost 70 degrees. I'm ready to pot some flowers.