"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, May 22, 2014

summer bucket list

"Some of the best memories are made in flip-flops."

The older I get, the more I look forward to this season of summer. I think this season more than any other brings out the kid in me, as I live out life through the excitement of my own kids. Our senses seem to come more alive and every little thing is noticed on a grander level. Like the blooms on the Lilac Bush outside our bedroom window that I just this past week realized I hadn't noticed in years past. They are so pretty, offer the perfect view through our clean white curtains and seem to have come to life over night. Or the way our new small fountain sounds on our deck through our open kitchen window late evening after the boys are asleep and everything is quiet. That trickling water sound that brings about summer memories of youth... those days at Ray Edward's pool, those nights of Ghost in the Graveyard... and the excitement for our own summer now to come. Or the way I look forward to watering our plants every night after tucking the boys in their sheets... those few minutes to myself at the end of the day when it's not too hot and not too cool and everything seems just right. I live to nurture... even if it's pink flowers.

I started putting our summer bucket list together about a month ago when winter was dragging on far too long, and I was longing for a reason to look forward. Some of these are traditional summer events, something we do every year. Some on the list are new. I love that we have the list on our chalkboard in our kitchen and can look at it whenever we have the time and the inkling to go on an adventure. Here goes...

Summer Bucket List 2014

*have a backyard campout
*go for a bike ride
*take the boys to a Waterloo Bucks game
*visit tropical snow
*have a water balloon fight
*walk through Hartman Reserve
*pick wildflowers
*roast hot dogs
*s'mores over the fire pit
*go fishing
*have a driveway carwash/bike wash
*plant flowers
*catch fireflies
*go to a carnival
*see fireworks
*star gaze from a gravel road
*park hop
*buy a family pool pass
*take Dasher for a walk
*have a picnic
*skip rocks at the lake
*venture through George Wyth
*have a family cookout at a park
*run through the sprinklers
*play cribbage on the deck during sunset
*go to Adventureland
*watch a parade
*make homemade pizzas on the grill
*eat lots of corn on the cob
*watch a hot air balloon launch
*fill the driveway with chalk drawings
*go to 'Movies Under the Moon'
*have a picnic at the arboretum
*watch a concert at the amphitheater
*ride the go-karts
*play mini-golf
*pick our own strawberries
*have a 4th of July party
*try different smoothie recipes
*make our own ice cream shakes
*go to the beach
*spend a Saturday morning at the Farmer's Market and walk the downtown sidewalks... Cup of Joe, Gateway Park and the boys' favorite bridge over the river.
*play kickball
*teach the boys 4-square
*breakfast picnic at Big Woods Lake
*stop for ice cream cones after supper
*watch a sunset from the water

And just to awaken those senses... a few of my favorites pictures from last summer. It was a good one.