"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, June 2, 2014

'52' - Week 22

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2014"
 
 
Jaden: He had such a big week this past week. First, a kindergarten awards program at school where he earned honors in every category. A reading award, a math award and a leadership award. The only one in his class with perfect attendance all year long. And the last award announced... his classroom's P.E. leader award. I sat there watching, the whole time thinking back to that very first day of school which seems like just yesterday. Thinking back to the ball of nerves in my stomach that morning and how confident he was when we left him behind. And just like that, the first year is almost over, and he couldn't have made us prouder. Two days after the awards program, he was asked to speak in front of an all-school assembly. He only had to say two sentences but he had to memorize them. And he had to use a microphone. He rocked it. He spoke loudly, clearly and confidently and didn't stumble over a single word. That same day while getting ready for school in the morning, he lost his second tooth in the middle of rehearsing his lines. He is proof of how fast this parenting journey is going.
 
 
Brandon: He and I went on a date this weekend - something we hadn't done just the two of us in a while. On a hot and sticky day, while Daddy and Jaden went to soccer, Brandon and I browsed the bookstore for some new summer reads. He was on his best behavior. He helped me pick out a few titles, picked out a juice from the café, played with the train and when a stack of books fell from a shelf, he went right to work putting them back without me requesting that he do so. The night before our date while I was lying with him in bed, he lost himself in a serious giggle fit. Belly laughs - the best kind. When I asked him why he was giggling so hard, in between his giggles and when he could catch his breath, he said, "Because I love you Mommy!!" And then he started hiccupping. Giggle fits because he loves his mommy so much. At that moment I asked him if he could just stay four years old, to which he responded very seriously, "I don't know how to do that Mommy."