"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Thankful Leaves

Sharing a project we have going on in our home for the month of November. We started our thankful leaves on November 1, and I'm proud to say we have not missed a day of thankfulness yet. Each evening, I ask the boys what they have been thankful for that day and write their individual responses on a leaf. The collection is hanging in our kitchen and growing nicely. It's fun to walk by this wall and read their responses. Some of them serious, some of them cute and funny.


I love the idea of making them think of just one think to appreciate each day. Some days, their responses come quick as they are able to think of something right away. Other days, it's a little tougher. The days they struggle to think of anything are usually days when they are tired and maybe a little cranky. But in the end, they've always been able to come up with something. In fact, the other night Brandon hadn't been able to think of a single thing, and I really try not to lead them towards something. I want their responses to be genuine and organic and completely their own. He said to me all night, "I have nothing in mind." Until we were lying in bed that night, saying our prayers, and he suddenly popped his head up off the pillow. "I'm thankful for God!" Good one.



I love that this is teaching them to go through their days and not just focus on the big blessings, but on the small ones as well. I love that Brandon one day said he's thankful for rain because it makes the grass grow. And that Jaden said he was thankful he had a good parent/teacher conference. I love hearing their thought process and figuring out what meant the most to them that day. I will be back to share our complete list of thankful items at the end of the month. Happy November!