"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, January 9, 2015

1/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2015"


Jaden: He has yet to have a normal school day since resuming from Christmas break. Monday he was off for an in-service day, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday all had two hour delays and Wednesday school was cancelled altogether. Cody has literally been working day and night since Sunday which means all of our schedules have been completely turned around and tossed upside down. I've been scheduling conference calls around school delays, battling homework hour, mornings routines and bedtimes completely by myself and am more than ready for some feeling of stability again. (I have a feeling this is a pre-cursor and that I'm supposed to be learning something from all of this, but that's another story). But Jaden? This one has loved it. Lots of Ninja Turtle watching and video game play and many, many board games on our living room floor. And of course, shorter school days. He absolutely loves the NFL Rush Zone board game we got him for Christmas, and is learning how to operate the TV and DVD players all by himself.

 
Brandon: Though Jaden long ago graduated to showers instead of baths, this one remains terrified of the shower head. And even though there are nights when throwing him in for a quick shower would be so much easier on mommy, a bigger part of me is thankful he still likes a tub filled with bubbles. His imaginative play in the tub always amazes me and our bath routine might be one of my favorite parts of our day. This night in particular, he was mixing up a bath cake for me. The bubbles were the "snow frosting" and he absolutely refused to wrap up in his towel, even with all the water drained, until I sat by the tub and pretended to eat it for him. Shivering with goose bumps and all, he wanted Mommy to eat his pretend bath water bubble cake. And my most favorite part of all is when I can hear him singing to himself in the bathroom while I'm out getting his pajamas and storybooks ready. (And how he still has that chubby-cheeked baby look with his hair all slicked back? Yeah, I adore that, too). He turns five all too soon. This last month and a half as a four year old will be so precious to me.