"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, February 23, 2015

5 Years of Brandon

One week from today, our baby turns five. (Maybe at some point I should stop calling him our baby? Maybe).

I have been loving this Timehop app on my phone for quite a while now but enjoy it even more so around special occasions of the year. Daily over the last few weeks I've been able to read old reminders from five years ago about those final days leading up to Brandon's birth. Reading status updates from five years ago on how I felt physically, what my thoughts were at the end of pregnancy. I was so very anxious for his birth. Five years ago at this time, I could barely sit at my desk anymore - my back killing me. Of course none of my clothes fit. I couldn't breathe with the weight of him pressed against my lungs. And the doctor was going back and forth on whether he was going to be in the head down position like he was supposed to be. (We know how that story ends... definitely not in the head down position!) It was such a special and anxious time, and now we have this amazingly cute little boy to show for it. A little boy that is getting ready to spread his wings, graduate preschool and fly off to kindergarten. Thankfully he's not completely leaving the nest yet... I'd be a mess!

Five years of Brandon... sweet memories of my mama's boy...

***
 
Brand new.
He was such a beautiful and easy infant. Born in early spring and right in the midst of UNI's sweet 16 run, my two months at home with him was a very memorable time spent focusing on him - and basketball - and walks in the early spring sunshine. Kind of ironic that on his landmark fifth birthday, the Panthers are having yet another milestone season!


1 month.
And one of his first smiles caught on camera. Papa Bob and Nana Nancy did quite a bit of traveling right after he was born, and I tortured them by sending pictures like this whenever they were gone. I remember one of my dad's text messages back to me after sending him a picture like this one. "This isn't fair."


2 months.
A hat brought back from Papa and Nana's travels. He looked so cute in it, and I used it as often as I could while it fit.


3 months.
The picture that our church used on the big screen for his baptism. And one of my all-time favorites. He had the cutest wrinkly forehead and the sweetest whisps of wavy hair atop that mostly bald head.


4 months.
He absolutely loved lying naked in his crib, and we had some of our best chats that way!


5 months.
This little saucer was our attempt at keeping him occupied. He wanted to be able to crawl long before he was ready - I think in order to keep up with his big brother! And look at those two front teeth!


6 months.
The only time that bath robe ever got worn. And oh, that face.


7 months.
His first trip to the pumpkin patch. It was really windy but he was a trooper. And to this day, he still sleeps with that blue blankie tucked in under his head every night.


8 months.
Trying to take his monthly picture with the giant stuffed bear. He never cooperated by actually sitting with the bear, but at least we were always able to get smiles. Usually with the help of Jaden standing by his crib.


9 months.
So many teeth already. He had all of his teeth before he was 12 months old.


10 months.
His first Christmas. See the signs of glitter along his cheek and forehead? Mommy's lip gloss. I could never stop kissing his cheeks... I still can't!


11 months.
That grin? It's not fooling anybody. Little stinker used to pee in the tub ALL THE TIME.


1 year!
We couldn't get him to sit for many pictures, but the ones of him walking are even better. He walked by the time he was 12 months old. This was also when we finally got tubes put in his ears, and life became much easier!


2 years.
An unseasonably warm March. We used to sit out on the deck with an after-school snack and watch the planes fly overhead. He'd point out every single one... even the ones so high in the sky that  I could hardly see them. He loved everything in the sky. The planes, the stars and the moon. He and the moon were on a first name basis... he was obsessed with it.


3 years.
Shopping for books with his own birthday money for the first time! We love going to the bookstore together, and I love that he's a little bookworm just like me.



4 years.
One of my favorite pictures from last year's birthday party. He put on quite the show for us with his cupcakes, and I just love that twinkle in his eyes.


(Almost) 5 years.
Looking so grown up and being quite the poser for the camera. Recently Papa Tim told me I should try him out to be a child model. We might be a little biased. ;)


The countdown is on Brandon. One more week. I adore you, buddy, and I can't believe you're going to be all five fingers old!