"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

13/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2015"


Jaden: I tell people he's seven going on 17. He's growing up at rapid speed and with that has come a whole new set of parenting challenges, but also joys. We're hearing more often again how tall he is and how old he looks for his age, and people are often surprised to hear that he's only in 1st grade. This look on his face is one we get a lot, as he's testing us and his own independence. But it's also so fun to watch him spread his wings and watch his passions grow. He's never without a ball in his hands, and one of my favorite parts of life right now is watching he and Cody play one-on-one together out in the driveway almost every night. He's having a great second semester in school with his reading skills improving immensely and his love of math surprising all of us, including his teacher. As far as I'm concerned, this kid can be and do whatever he sets his mind to when he gets older. Right now our biggest challenge is just reminding him to have fun. That he doesn't have to be Michael Jordan at seven years old, and that the most important attribute to have as an athlete and a teammate is a positive attitude and good sportsmanship. I tell him that these things start at home. By being a good brother and a good son. It's a work in progress, but that's what Mommy and Daddy are here for. I think it's going to be a fun ride with him. I feel so honored to be the mama with the front row seat.


Brandon: Oh this boy. He is so strong willed and so fiercely stubborn and opinionated. But with the softest, sweetest side to him that just makes all the frazzled moments dissipate with a mere hug or kiss or head on my shoulder at bedtime. He has been asking a lot of questions lately about what his life will look like when he's grown. I'm not sure where it's coming from - maybe the fact that he knows he's starting school soon or maybe this whole housing process we're going through - but he asks us often if he will still get to live with us when he's grown. If he will have to buy his own house or if he can stay with me forever. I tell him he'll eventually need to buy his own house, and that when he's older he will want to, but that we'd be happy to have him buy the house right next door. ;) And when you ask him what he wants to be when he grows up? A daddy. He just wants to be a daddy. I think we can work with that.