"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Thursday, April 2, 2015

happy things

"...And suddenly it's not just another week night, it's one of those rare glimpses of what your life looks like from Heaven's perspective.... Because this is the good stuff, you guys." ~Lisa Jo Baker





 



Stripping it all down to the simple. To the happy things as of late...
 

// a community easter egg hunt. Last year's hunt was nothing short of a disaster so when I told the boys we were giving it a go again this year, Jaden's response was, "Another Easter egg hunt. Like the one last year when we didn't get any eggs?" ;) Luckily, this year's was much better! Brandon's excitement was for seeing the Easter Bunny but when the big moment arrived, he clung to my legs and stayed as far away as he could. Jaden on the other hand ran right up to that Bunny and just about tackled him to the ground. Not an exaggeration. Jaden got a balloon sword, Brandon chose a flower of course, and both boys came away with buckets overflowing with eggs and candy.
 







(strategizing, of course. Cody coached the boys to run to the far end of the field because all of the other kids would grab the first eggs they saw right at the beginning). ;)

 



(Papa Bob came in handy when the boys' hands got cold!)






// so much time outside. Tired boys at bedtime. "I think I'm going to sleep good tonight, Mommy."






/ the way Brandon's head slowly falls to my shoulder during bedtime reading

/ our first seasonal trip to the park. Surprising them on the way home from daycare with a stop at Lookout. Jaden has replaced slides with basketball courts, and Brandon still can't get enough of those swings.
 



 



 















/ watching through the kitchen window as Jaden and Cody play one-on-one in the driveway or practice wide receiver routes with a game of catch as I clean up from supper. My two older boys outside as the sun goes down while my younger one soaks in extra bubbles in the bathtub inside, humming his own little tune to himself while I work on loading the dishwasher and wiping down the counters. These are the moments that make me pause and think and count my blessings. These were the moments I dreamed of. When I was young and pictured my future, I wasn't dreaming of butcher block countertops or stone fireplaces. I was dreaming of just this. I have it all.




/ the spring-time return of the ducks to our creek. They're so pretty and have no fear of us as they waddle up from the water to our lawn right beside our driveway. It's almost like they know they're coming home to us every spring. When your house is on the market and you're eager to move out of it, it's easy to forget all the blessings it's brought and all the memories created in it. It's also so easy to take something for granted until you're faced with saying goodbye to it. I stood there and watched Brandon feed those ducks for a long time... so happy and content he was... and I thought to myself, "Wow. We're going to miss that so much." One of the many seemingly small pieces of our foundation that was built here. When I look back on our beginnings and our children's young years, feeding ducks and catching tree frogs and losing balls in that creek of ours. That's been the good stuff.








/ open windows and a happy kitty. The way the white bedroom curtains blow in the breeze and the way she calls to the birds as they chirp all day long.



/ Jaden reading to Brandon at bath time. Brandon's quick to remind Jaden when he's forgotten to show him a picture, and I listen in from the bedroom while I fold the laundry, always there to provide quick help if he gets stuck on a word.



/ our very last preschool program and how special it felt to help Brandon button his shirt and put on his tie. He picked the shirt and tie out from the store all by himself, and as I sat there helping him get dressed, my mind flashed forward to the years when I will help him with his tux on prom nights and on his wedding day. He gave me extra kisses after he was all dressed up, and even though he became a nervous little boy when the performance started, I'm still so proud of him. He stood up there surrounded by his classmates, nervous and wanting me, but took several deep visible breaths to keep calm, never shed a tear, and tapped his foot to the music the whole time.





 
Other happy things...

/ helping the Easter bunny fill the boys' baskets with the perfect items to wake up to on Easter morning.

/ a new Scentsy order from the Spring line, a new maxi skirt for Easter morning and a new swimsuit top for all those days and nights at the Falls pool and on Lake Ponderosa this summer.

/ standing up with Cody as Ivy's godparents on her baptism day. Helping Cassi get Ivy in her baptism gown and feeling thankful and honored to get to play such a huge part in this little girl's life.

/ the return of ice cream Sunday nights, a tradition Cody and I keep spring through fall.

/ our first nights of Christmas meat on the grill. Greg always gives us a large box that we keep in the freezer until spring. I don't know what they put in the meat, but it's so, so good.

/ cold drinks from the Starbucks drive-thru on the way to daycare or swimming lessons... or anywhere, really. Tip: Starbucks Frappuccino's taste extra good with the windows rolled down and the music turned up.
 
/ chalk-filled driveways. I so wish I would have gotten a picture of the giant Easter bunny Brandon drew with his big pink tummy before the rain storm washed it all away. It was life-sized!
 


 
...happy spring. Happy Easter week. Remember why He came - so that we could have moments like these. This is the good stuff.