"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Friday, July 17, 2015

28/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2015"


Jaden: He starts baseball next week, and even though I know that means the rest of the summer will fly by, it's also one of my favorite memories made every year. Nights on the baseball diamond watching your kiddo up at bat is special, no matter how young or old they are. We went to practice at the park tonight, and after about 30 minutes of good hitting, the boys ran off to play on the playground while Cody and I took a break at one of the nearby picnic tables. Within two minutes, a man who was there pushing his granddaughter on a swing came over to talk to us. He asked how old Jaden was and was stunned when we told him that he is seven. "Wow, only seven? He's got great form." We thanked him politely and then he went on to tell us that he just moved to town, but used to be a baseball coach. We spent 15 minutes talking about Jaden and youth sports in the Cedar Valley, until it was time to head home. And as we were leaving, he shouted out to Jaden, "Keep up that form buddy! You look great!"


Brandon: This one - this is how I'll remember my five year old in his last summer before starting school. It doesn't matter how hot it is outside, or how sweaty his hair gets while sticking to his forehead, he is at his happiest on a playground. He literally just does not stop smiling the entire time we're there. This past Sunday after we pulled into the church parking lot, he jumped out of the van while I was still sitting in my seat putting my phone and sunglasses in my purse. He came around to the side of the car, surprising me when he opened my door and held it for me, closing it behind me after I'd gotten out. Then he held my hand all the way to the doors, as he almost always does. I want this summer - this last month of him as my little boy - to stretch on. It's why there are always so many pictures to document it all. So that time can stand still within the frame.