"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

29/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2015"


Jaden: It seems like I've had so many conversations lately revolving around how quickly this one seems to be growing up. How his interests have drawn him closer to Daddy lately, how cartoon movies sometimes bore him now, how tall he always looks, how his conversations and expressions are maturing into that of an older boy. But deep down inside of him, there's still that sweet little sensitive kiddo that stole my heart over seven years ago when he and I first locked eyes on each other in a hospital room on a cold January night. Just the other night, as I was lying in their beds with them at bedtime after another routine of stories and prayers and tucking in, he sighed from the top bunk and then said, "Mommy, I like it when you lay in our room with us before we fall asleep. It makes us feel cozy." Yup... he's still my little boy.


Brandon: My little nurturer that dreams only of being a daddy someday. Here, he'd found a caterpillar in the garage and decided to make a little oasis for it. He has been attached to his blue blanket from Nana Deanne since he was an infant but lately has found comfort in an old teddy bear that used to be mine. A bear I always called "Prayer Bear," as it's formed in a permanent praying shape with its eyes and hands closed in prayer. Brandon, however, has affectionately re-named the bear Brandon Louis Ubben the 2nd. ;) He now swaddles this bear with his favorite blue blanket and tucks it under his arm with him as he falls asleep at night. The other night at bedtime he made me whisper our bedtime prayer so that I wouldn't wake his bear up, and I watched as he gently kissed the bear's forehead and shushed the bear goodnight. I told him he's going to make an excellent daddy someday, to which he responded, "Even when I'm a daddy, I promise I'll still come visit you, Mommy."