"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, August 24, 2015

34/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2015"


Jaden: First night of football practice - year two. Just like in baseball, his best friend Jack is on his team, and Jaden's even more focused than last year. His practices are a little longer this time around - an hour and 20 minutes each time, and his new coach ended this first practice asking if Cody would be an assistant coach again this year. These nights and Saturday mornings make this beloved season even better, and we're looking forward to the next two months watching these boys have fun together.

 
Brandon: Standing outside of daycare on his very last morning at Blessed Beginnings. We left the house early to pick up a bouquet of flowers for Mrs. W., and I drove to BB with a huge lump in my throat. Truthfully, I had been dreading this day - knowing I would struggle with it more than the actual first day of kindergarten. I hate goodbyes - I am horrible at them - and I just can't say enough about how much this place and these people have meant to us over the last few years. I was able to barely keep it together at drop-off until Brandon's best girl friend Kyla walked in right after us, also carrying orange flowers. The usually tough and put together Mrs. W couldn't handle it, threw her hands over her eyes and started crying, causing Kyla's mom to cry, and ruining my resolve to stay tear-free. We were all kind of a mess in that moment, surrounded by littles that couldn't figure out why all these crazy ladies were sobbing and hugging. I struggled all day, feeling sad and a little distracted, once again holding a lump in my throat all the way to pick-up at 5:00, and then lost it again watching Brandon hug all of his dear friends goodbye. Kyle must have picked up on my struggle because she came over to give me a big hug right before we walked out that door for the last time. I'm so glad that day is behind us and we can now look forward because it was truly a tough one. But Brandon? He rocked it. There's something so refreshing and comforting about little kids that don't fully understand the significance in goodbyes.