"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Christmas Prequel


As I type, the boys are outside playing in the snow - for almost an hour now! - and I am getting ready to pack up our bags and car for a short little getaway for just the four of us. We're taking the boys somewhere new (to them), and I'm looking forward to adding even more pictures to my camera card before the week is up. So much to share from our Christmas week and two-week vacation, and there are several posts coming filled with all the stories and presents and pictures and family members that have made up our holiday.

So to start - the few days leading up to Christmas Eve. With time away from work, Christmas falling on a Friday and the boys still in school on Monday and Tuesday, I had two whole days to myself to recharge and re-set. It's been a crazy few months, and I was so looking forward to those days and so in need of them. I shopped, I wrapped gifts, I read, I ate lunch at Panera with Dad and I sipped coffee in my pj's in the recliner at 1:00 in the afternoon. Those two days - if only I could take them every month!




When the boys got out of school on Monday, we celebrated the fact that there was just one day left with a trip to the Chocolaterie downtown and our own quiet corner of the place where we sat and ate gelato before strolling the streets of our cute little town under the white Christmas lights. Anticipation was high, and it was a beautiful evening. We came home, laughed through Christmas with the Kranks, and I wished for our week to drag on as slow as possible.









Our family started rolling into town at the same time that the boys got out of school on Tuesday, and we all gathered at Mom and Dad's for a spaghetti dinner and reindeer games. Literally!























On Wednesday, with school out and break officially started, the boys and I visited the movie theater in the afternoon for a quiet showing of the new Chipmunk's movie before joining our entire family for a beautiful and yummy dinner downtown at Bourbon St. We sat at a table directly under that notorious lighted indoor tree, Jaden discovered that he loves calamari and Brandon colored all the Christmas pictures while we satisfied Aunt Sally's longing for a good piece of Iowa steak.

My favorite, Christmas Eve, coming up next...