"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

22/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2016"


Jaden: I came down with a bad case of the hiccups last night while the boys were brushing their teeth before bed, and I did what I always do with hiccups - tipped my head back and held my breath for as long as I could to try and get rid of them. In the middle of holding my breath with my eyes closed, I felt his little hand come up and stroke my back, and when I opened my eyes, he had tears in his own eyes. I asked him why he was trying not to cry, and he said it was because he was worried about me holding my breath for so long. He didn't want me to die from it! He acts so tough and tries so hard to show us how old he's getting so much of the time, but underneath it all, he's still that sweet and sensitive little boy.


Brandon: We spent a day at the lake over the holiday weekend, and this one had his first boat tubing experience. He was eager and begging to do it until the moment arrived, and then he let his nerves get the best of him for a few minutes before - once again - showing us how brave he is and forging ahead to do it despite his fears. And sure enough, he loved it. It's one of the things I admire about him - how he doesn't let his fears hold him back from trying something he really wants to do - no matter how nervous he gets beforehand. We've seen so many cases of this in his young life. He's a brave and determined kiddo, and I believe he's going to soak all he can out of life.