"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

31/52

"a portrait of each of my children, once each week, in 2016"
 

Jaden: It was a big week for this one! He passed the big swimming test at the Falls, and is now cleared to go off the diving boards, high-dive and drop slide at the pool - and swim in any of the deep water areas that he chooses. In other words, the entire pool complex is now open to him to spend his time anywhere he chooses without restrictions of any kind. That's a big deal for an eight year old! I have been encouraging him to try the swim test all summer, just to see how he would do so that we would know what he needed to work on if he didn't quite pass the test. But - all summer long he has protested it and has been content to watch from the sidelines while his friends slowly passed the test one by one. Until last Wednesday night when I was out to eat at a restaurant in Albert Einstein's old neighborhood in Princeton, NJ, and Cody sent me a text to tell me that while at the pool with his daycare friends, Jaden told the lifeguards and his daycare teachers that he wanted to take the test - and subsequently passed it on his first try! His buddies and his favorite teachers were there along the side of the pool cheering him on as he did it, which also brings a smile to my face whenever I picture that moment. And once he got his first taste of the high-dive and that big slide, he couldn't get enough. Now whenever he's at the pool, that's all he does for hours on end!


Brandon: A big week for my little pirate, too. He wrapped up his first few baseball practices and has his first game tomorrow night. After team pictures last night, he came home and asked Daddy to draw a baseball field diagram for him so that they could study field positions together. It was the sweetest moment listening to them interact in this way, and I felt so grateful for the season of life we're in.