"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Monday, August 29, 2016

Back to School Report // 3rd & 1st Grade!





They got a good night's sleep and woke up the morning of the first day of school with two very different attitudes. Brandon was bouncing off the walls with excitement, and Jaden was - well - rather cranky. His outlook on heading back to school has not been positive, but I was able to perk him up some when I reminded him of our breakfast date that first morning. ;)

I had to help Jaden get his belt on correctly - a requirement for his daily wardrobe now that he's a third grader. And Brandon woke up with the most extreme case of bed head imaginable so it took quite a bit of product and brushing to tame that mane before stepping outside. It's amazing what his hair can accomplish over night.

I had my usual first day of school Mama butterflies - although mostly from hoping we'd get everywhere on time. I spent some time in my own head as I was getting ready that morning - reflecting back on that same day a year ago when I was an emotional mess over sending my baby to kindergarten - and feeling very grateful this year that we had overcome that milestone already and that this first day back seemed a lot more "normal."

Thankfully it was a dry morning and we were able to do some outdoor first day of school pictures before heading off to Village Inn at 7:30 for the boys' favorite menu item - the Villain. Chocolate chip pancakes, sausage and one egg - cooked scrambled for Brandon and over easy for Jaden. A glass of chocolate milk for B and some apple juice for J. We were joined by a big group of Cedar Falls Tiger football players, all in their jerseys, and a group of high school senior girls - all in the traditional tie-die t-shirts that has been a tradition for senior girls to wear on their very last first day of school at the high school since long before I walked those halls. It was a little weird to be sitting there with my kiddos and imagining them looking and acting like those seniors sitting just a couple of tables away from us not too many years from now. A good reminder to me, as I sat in that booth feeling rushed and constantly reminding Jaden to not splatter syrup on his shirt - "Slow down, take it in, that will be them in the blink of an eye." This morning, and every first morning since they started preschool, they have loved these breakfasts with Mommy. But someday all too soon they'll be loving breakfasts with their friends and teammates and probably only asking me for a few bucks as they walk out the door. So yes, there I sat in that booth - thankful we weren't facing the first day of kindergarten, but even more thankful we weren't facing the final first day of them all.








We made it to school with plenty of time to spare on that first morning. Jaden is now in the "big kids" hallway with the rest of the 3rd grade, 4th grade and 5th grade classrooms. I think that's the only thing he was excited about upon returning. ;)



Brandon got to move out of the preschool and kindergarten hallway and into a hallway with all 1st and 2nd graders. He also has an actual desk now instead of just a spot at a table, which means his own place to store his pencil box! :)



I even got to watch him make his lunch selection for the day. :)




We are now three full days into the school year and the reports have been all extremely positive. Though apprehensive to start up again, Jaden loves his new teacher (as do I), and is having a lot of fun back at recess again. ;) He reports that he's getting lots of compliments on his tennis shoes and that one kid told him he might be able to beat Lebron James in basketball. ;)

Brandon's mood has been extremely chipper and happy ever since the first day back, and even today - on the third day - he got in the van at 3:35 and declared for the 25th time, "I LOVE school!" ...We'll see if he still feels that way in January. :)