"When you called me to be a Mama, You didn't ask for perfection. But that with every breath, I'd point them to You."

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Goodbye, Fall







There's been a dramatic shift in weather since last week, as we fell from temperatures in the 70's to down into the 20's and 30's - and it looks like Winter is finally creeping in and will be here to stay. We can't really complain - we have had the most beautiful fall in my memory.






A couple of weeks ago, I packed up my work day a little early and the boys and I headed to the playground after school for one more late afternoon visit before daylight savings came to an end and we would be welcoming in 5:00 darkness. I don't really mind this change in our behaviors and patterns. I tend to welcome the invitation to slow down, curl up inside in the evenings and spend more time together in the same room. For the next several months, the boys will no longer be outside playing with the neighbors until supper, Daddy might actually start coming home from work before supper time, and we will be relying on each other for conversation and entertainment. There is more time for games and family dinners at the table and movie nights under the blankets. Don't get me wrong - I'm always ready for the shift again in the spring, but in November, sundown at 5:00 is a much needed chance to slow down and reconnect.




This week ahead has me giddy. I took an extra day off work tomorrow while the boys are still in school so that I could get a jumpstart on my Christmas decorating, greeting card addressing and gift wrapping. (Yes, I've already gotten a good chunk of the shopping done for the boys!) I'm looking forward to this quiet day to myself to fully get in the spirit of things, and I plan on spending it with my favorite red cup from the Starbucks drive-thru and my Pandora Christmas playlist on blast. I even have a new Christmas fiction novel to read by one of my favorite authors. The days off to myself ahead of holidays has become a routine of mine, and one that I greatly look forward to. As for the rest of the week, we will of course have the family festivities that surround the holiday, we will put up our tree and hang the stockings, and might even be able to squeeze in some "Friendsgiving" before the week is up, too.











But I sure will miss this season we just had. The football games and September vacation, the open windows and pumpkin everything, the sweatshirt but no coats weather in the evenings, and the anticipation that's always present throughout the autumn months, as we look ahead to what's coming. My favorite part of Christmas is in the waiting. I sure hope time drips by slowly in December.












Signing off of this blog space until after the holiday. Have a great week, everyone, and a blessed Thanksgiving.